Knots Untie (5)

Victoria:

I woke up a 9:15 am, a little later than usual and quickly scrambled out of bed. I slipped on the jeans from yesterday and then my combat boots. I made the bed, trying not to leave the room a mess. I put my watch on, and once again I put my hair up into the same high ponytail.

I grabbed the gun and slipped it into my waistband and let my army green shirt fall over top of it. I swung the bag over my shoulder and walked out the door. The outpost was silent except for the occasional group of men or women talking to one another.

I reached the front door and began to make my way to the jeep. I opened the door to the vehicle and threw my bag into the backseat. I started up the jeep and drove up to the front gate.

"Leaving so soon?" The guard asked scribbling onto a piece of notebook paper.

"Yeah, I gotta get back on the road, but hey, I didn't see Holly this morning, but let her know I said goodbye and thanks again." I smiled.

The guard nodded and motioned to other men to open up the gate. I drove through the newly open gate and took off down the dirt road. Only after another hour or so of driving, I reached the tree line where my father told me to leave the car around noon.

I put the car in park, doing my best to hide it from the road within the trees. I grabbed another water bottle and granola bar. I also grabbed my bag and swung it over my shoulder. I jumped out of the jeep and started through the woods.

The walk through the woods wasn't terrible long. It was even better considering that there were no walkers that I had to handle. I reached the end of the tree line and could see the path that led up to the Hilltop.

As I made my way up the hill, I could see the guards at the gate using binoculars to find out who I was. I reached the bottom of the gate, and the guards above greeted me.

"Victoria, it's good to see you," Eduardo yelled setting down his spear.

"You too, Eduardo! Where's Kal?" I asked walking to the gate that was beginning to open.

I walked into the Hilltop, excited to get to relax for once and see some friendly faces.

"Right here," Kal said walking over to me and pulling me into a hug.

"It's so good to see you, alone and not with your father's obnoxious men by your side." Kal laughed as another guard began to close the gate behind me.

"I'm glad to be here. It's a nice change of scenery than being back home." I smiled.

As I began chatting with Kal, I heard an annoying voice call my name from the mansion in the middle of the colony.

"Oh Victoria! Victoria! Lovely seeing you!" The voice said walking towards me.

I peaked around Kal to see Gregory, their leader, strolling towards me.

I sighed not wanting to deal with him already. "Great. Will you excuse me?" I smiled walking towards Gregory.

"Hi, Gregory," I said sticking my hand out to greet him.

He shook my hand smiling a clearly fake smile.

"Veronica, what do I owe the pleasure?" Gregory grinned sticking his hands into his pockets.

"It's actually, Victoria, and I'm here to make sure everything is in order before Simon comes to collect in the next few days," I replied.

Still smiling like an absolute idiot, he began nodding his head.

"Splendid, Vivian! I'll assure you everything is fine and dandy and ready to go!" He said eagerly.

"Good. I'm going to have a look around." I said walking away towards the livestock area.