Personal One Shot 3.0

Start from the beginning

"Perseus Jackson! I see you've another blonde partner! Got a thing for blondies, eh?" The figure taunted and you scowled. You didn't like being compared to Annabeth, you wanted to know be for you. Being compared to a mighty warrior really didn't do well to your self-esteem.

"Who are you?" You barked, the Mist tensing to your command. The figure throws its head back into a laugh which quickly turns into a hacking cough, and sneers, "But this one... Not a child of Athena, no. A child of Hecate perhaps?" You turned to Percy and scoffed, "She's really playing Captain Obvious."

Percy tried for a smile, but all that appeared was a weak lopsided grin. He was seriously freaking out. The figure stepped into the light, knees swollen, tattered and bloody dress draping over her pale white shoulders, with mucus and tears all over her face. Mounds of dust settled on her shoulders, her hair matted to bald parts of her head. She sniffs, a wrinkly hand wiping her nose, and sobs, "I am Akhlys! I was old before the Titans were born, you ignorant girl. I was old when Gaea first woke. Misery is eternal. Existence is misery. I was born of the eldest ones - of Chaos and Night!"

"I think she said that to Annabeth too," Percy gulped. You rolled your eyes and snarled, "Well, hello Goddess of Misery! I'm Maddy and I don't care what you are, unless you're dead." You bounded forward and extended an arm. The wisp of energy shot forward, solidifying. Akhlys stepped aside, hobbling on her weak knee and a wall of bubbling ugly liquid surged forward, dissolving the bolt. You cursed at your foolishness and ducked and rolled under another attack of poison. Your eyes started watering and your head felt light, left was right and right was left. Nothing felt good.

You collapsed into Percy's arm and he set you aside roughly. Brandishing Riptide, he insisted, "Maddy, listen, she wants to get to you, so she can get to me. This is my fight, and I have to finish it before anyone else gets hurt." You tried to protest but your insides felt like melting. Percy smiled at the gibberish you spouted and with a grim face, charged towards Akhlys. You could hear the faint sounds of taunts and swords, but everything else was a blur.

Putting your finger to your temples, you concentrated and pulled back your finger slowly, as if extracting something. Liquid emerged from your skin, following your finger, and you scrambled to the side as it fell to the floor, dissolving it. You picked yourself up and raced towards the lake where Percy and Akhlys were caught in a deadly game of tag. Riptide sliced at her dress and water doused her body constantly, but Akhlys knew misery stronger than this. Poison had drawn holes into his shirt and his movements were sluggish. You reached out, stretching your fingers, the Mist swirling towards him to form a protective shield.

"That's cheating!" You screamed in agony as poison met your skin, eating away at it and revealing a nasty bloody patch of flesh. The Mist dissolved as it reached Percy, your energy sapping away and being replaced by white hot throbbing pain. Akhlys slapped Percy across his face as he turned to look at you. He yelled some inaudible curse words and grabbed her by her throat, slamming her into the sand. In his other fist, water swirled and bobbed about, reading to strike.

"You angered me the last time, made my dark side appear. This time, I'll defeat you with the good inside me," He hissed. Akhlys grabbed his cheeks, long fingernails drawing blood, and spat, "How will you when the good in you is already gone?"

He hesitated and Akhlys pierced her nails into his neck, black oozing thick liquid streaming into his blood. You flung yourself at her, and the impact amplified to your will, sending her sprawling to the other side of the beach. "No!"

Percy clawed his neck, gasping for air, and as black ran through his veins and under his eyes, he looked you at you for one last fleeting moment before his eyes fluttered shut. He collapsed to the ground with a single thud. Tears came to your eyes and you blinked them away quickly. Turning around to Akhlys, you screamed, "You killed him, you old withering bat!"