Chapter 1

Danielle POV

-Beep... Beep...-

The alarm on my phone has been going off for at least five grueling minutes. I keep my eyes shut getting more frustrated as more seconds past by and the sound won't go away. I should roll over and turn it off. That would be the easy fix.

I don't like easy, and I don't like the sound from my phone. My phone should stop on its own. My phone should know I don't want to spend energy shutting it off. My phone should know I don't want to wake up now or in the future. It is a smart phone, it should know this.

With a pillow held tight to my ears, the sound still gets through and it was driving me mad. I roll over and finally shut the alarm off.

I push my hands into my mattress as I go into a sitting position. I thought being up would motivate me to get out of bed, but I was wrong. I move my hands from the mattress and my body instantly falls back.

As my head hits my pillow, I close my eyes. I was quickly drifting away to my false reality. A force on my stomach stops me from completely reaching it.

My eyes shoot open and through blur vision I could see two girls sitting on my bed. One was pushing and shaking me.

"Get out!" I try yelling but my voice goes in and out causing both girls to laugh.

Taylor starts bouncing up and down being a complete annoyance. "You need to get up. We do have a thing called school today."

Taylor is my twin sister. We are identical. We are sixteen. People who we have grown up with still struggle to tell us apart. Our close friends are decent telling us apart, but they still struggle.

Haley, who is Taylor's best friend, is the one who can tell us apart the best. Unless she is drunk and only then there are mistakes made.

As my eyes adjust to the light and being up, I look at the other girl who is sitting on my bed.

"Seriously Dani, wake up!" Taylor shouts.

She knows I'm not a morning person. Actually, I am never a people person.

"Why is she here?" I keep my eyes on Haley.

"You can call me by my name." Haley snaps. "I am sitting right here."

I look at her in disbelief. She is mad because I used a pronoun instead of her real name.

I wanted to say something, but I stay quiet.

"Go to my room and I'll be there in a second." Taylor tells Haley.

Haley gets off my bed. As she walks out, she flips her hair to the side and shakes her hips.

"Eyes to me." Taylor demands. I move my eyes that were looking at a door and bring them to my sister. "Mom and dad won't be home for a couple of days."

I roll my eyes and finally get off my bed. "What is it this time?" I ask as I go to my closet to get some clothes. "A business trip? Vacation for two? A client needs them?"

"Business is all I know." Taylor is calm and unbothered.

"Do you know when they will be back?"

She shrugs. "I have no idea. Hopefully by this weekend so we can finish our birthday bash planning."

Taylor and I turn seventeen at the end of the month. Taylor convinced my parents to let us have a huge party.

I don't want a party. I don't want people here, but I don't have a choice.

I am not sure if it was lack of affection or being completely abandoned when I needed my family the most, but I am closed off. I barely talk to anyone, and I will not strike up a conversation on my own.