Chapter 4- You call that love?

"It's scary, what a smile can hide."

I chewed the inside of my cheek and my stomach lurched as the car came to a halt in front of the hospital. I jumped out along with the rest of them and we walked in together. Hospitals gave me the heebie jeebies; I just hated them, everywhere I looked I could see the corpses of my dead family.

Theo skidded to a halt, his sneaker squeaking against the shiny floor before he forced open a handle and fell onto the floor by a bed. I stayed outside with Mason and Kyle and we all stared at the floor, unable to form any words. I shifted my stare to the window and there was a little girl in the bed with blue sheets wrapped around her.

She had her blonde hair in two ponytails and her breaths were slow and harsh, her hand was in Theo's and they appeared to be speaking, he ran his hand over her face and kissed her hand lightly. She pulled something out; a paper and handed it to him before kissing his forehead and pointing at the door, silent sobs escaping her lips and I felt as though I had no right intruding on this moment so I glued my eyes to the floor.

"It's his sister," Mason said quietly, I knew Theo had an older brother but I did not know of any other siblings of his. "She was diagnosed with cancer a while back and today's her last day" Mason carried on. "That's why he wanted to call his mum" I realised and Mason nodded. "She stayed at the hospital and he got a call from her, telling him that she wanted to talk to him alone, she wanted to give him something" Kyle finished and I felt privileged to be there for Theo, he was going through a rough time and I had my fair share of those.

I looked back through the glass, expecting to watch them give their goodbyes but Theo wasn't there, a girl was, she had flowy brown hair and she was crying harshly on the floor, my observant gaze moved to the bed immediately but I staggered back, tripping over Masons foot before Kyle effortlessly caught me with one hand .

"Are you okay?" He asked with raised eyebrows and I nodded hesitantly; staring through the window one final time to see Theo sitting on the bed with his sister. Like it had always been. I was just seeing things. The wrong things.

I saw Caleb in that bed and the vision haunted me.

I stayed silent for 15 minutes at which time a woman, a man, two girls and a boy walked into the room. We stayed on seats in the waiting area where Kyle made a persistent effort for conversation. Theo left the room after an hour or something; his emerald eyes broken and his perfect hair messy. There was a piece of paper hanging from his right hand and Mason went to go hug this crumbling stranger, Kyle went too and I felt it only right to offer him a consoling hug. It was weird. I barely knew the guy but neither of us minded. He needed the support and I had a lot of it inside me.

He cleared his throat and being that close to him made me realise just how puffy his eyes were. "It's a bucket list," he said, his voice still cracked and I stared at the paper as he raised to slightly, "you guys don't have to if you don't want to but I'm going to do it for her, in memory of her" he carried on and Mason placed his hand on his shoulder assuringly.

"We're with you man" he said and everyone's eyes draped along with their moods, I told you hospitals were depressing. "Are you okay?" Kyle asked which was a stupid question in my eyes because who in their right mind is going to be okay after that but I guess he had to break the silence somehow.

"He's okay," I spoke before he had the chance out of habit for Jonah and he looked at me, for once we didn't break out stare but kept our eyes firmly on each other, "you're okay" I whispered and he puffed out his chest with a nod.

"I'm okay" he confirmed.

Theo obviously stayed in the hospital with his family but the rest of his had to leave after respectfully giving our condolences. Mason dropped Kyle off first which was weird because I'm normally first. But we played music in the back and he carried on driving without a word. When the car stopped he looked at me and I met his stare, "I know today's been hard for you and I'm sorry about everything, I'm sorry you cried yourself to sleep, I'm sorry I wasn't there for you, I'm sorry I-" he had no reason to apologise, nothing was his fault so I stopped him, clamping a hand over his mouth.