"Yes!"

Anything to get off the phone with her. "Then fine, I'm still going."

I now glanced at Blake again. He was just sitting there, listening to his music like he always did. It made me wonder why he would never talk. It just seemed... sad. I mean, did he not have anyone to talk to? He was the new kid, since I hadn't seen him during freshman or sophomore year. Was it really that hard to make friends?

Every time I saw him at school, he was alone. But what about his family? Did he not talk to them? The thought of not talking to your family was really upsetting. Even when my parents were as strict as they were, I'd still be upset if I never got to speak to them.

Cassie finally hung up, and I took a pen out of my purse and grabbed a napkin. I quickly wrote something down on it. "Here, say this," I told Blake, pushing the napkin toward him. "This should be easy. We'll start off easy, alright?"

He looked up at me uncertainly, but I only smiled at him.

"M... my..." Blake started, and I felt my grin growing. "My... name i—is... Blake."

"Okay, okay," I nodded, taking the napkin back from him now and scribbling something else for him to say. I quickly shoved it back over to him. "Now say this!"

Blake read what I had written, stuttering out, "M—my... partner's name... is... is... Leah."

I liked how he said my name. He said it just like everyone else did, but for some reason, it just felt different with him.

"Now just say whatever you want," I advised, taking the napkin from him. "Absolutely anything you want at all."

"I... haven't spoken," he started, and I couldn't help but feel excited, "since I... since I was i—in ninth... g—grade."

My eyes widened at him. He hadn't talked for two years? That sounded... torturous.

"Okay," I nodded, still at the edge of my seat now.

Blake opened his mouth to speak again, but closed it when he saw the look on my face suddenly change. I almost groaned when I saw Derrick Smith come through the door of the diner with a few of his buddies.

He was Leslie's partner, the hottest guy in our grade, and also one of Sean's best friends. They were both on the football team together, and both had the same huge ego.

So when Derrick was paired with Leslie, he was obviously annoyed. He didn't want some brainy girl with glasses, he wanted some hot girl like Marissa. Someone that would sleep with him, probably. Leslie was definitely beautiful, but Derrick knew she wasn't going to do anything with him, even if she did have a crush on him.

Even though he knew Sean liked me, Derrick hit on me all the time. He wasn't as persistent as Sean was, and I didn't take him seriously at all. It was just mindless flirting, and it honestly didn't bother me. Not like Sean/s flirting did.

"Hey, Leah," Derrick grinned as he came up to our table, and I bit the inside of my lip to stop myself from groaning. "I didn't expect to see you here with... whatever his name is."

"His name is Blake," I informed him snappily, not even meaning to do so. I just didn't like it when people teased someone. It wasn't fair. "And he's my partner for Mrs. Sparks's project. You know that, since you're in my class and everything."

"Oh, yeah," he nodded, his nose crinkling now as he made a face. "Your friend, Leslie..."

"Is a nice girl who isn't going to do anything with you," I answered before he could even ask the question.