22

Naomi

Jack opened my car door for me & held my hand as I stepped outside.

"After you baby girl," he smiled as he led me inside. We sat down at a table & had our prepared food brought to us.

"Pre made dishes?" I gasped.

"Yeah. I used to come here with my family all the time," he chuckled & slithered his hands across to mine resting on the table.

"Thank you," I smiled at him.

"Anything for you," he stroked my knuckles & smiled. I looked into his eyes deeply, I watched them flicker with love. I was enchanted by him. But my skin went cold.

Out of the corner of my eye, I saw Hugh walk in with a girl. He spotted me from there & headed in our direction.

"Hugh's here," I whispered to Jack.

"What? That son of a bitch," he grunted. He was getting angry. Really angry. Jack grabbed something from the table & stood up. He faced Hugh who was staring back at him with eagle eyes.

"You're still with him. After what we told you," Hugh murmured.

"I'm sorry. I'm here taking my girlfriend out to dinner to treat her because she deserves it. Problem?" Jack asked.

"Where did you get the money?" Hugh lifted up his chin, as though he was looking down at him.

"None of your business," Jack defended.

"As long as you didn't involve Naomi in your little stealing spree-"

"Stealing spree?" he asked.

"Yeah. You heard me. You're a junkie anyways so obviously you're a thief too," Hugh hissed.

"Outside," Jack muttered & stormed outside. Hugh followed, strutting madly. The girl he was with stood there panicked.

"Stay here," I said to her & ran outside.

I followed the voices I heard around the corner. Jack was confronting Hugh. The confrontation got rough. I heard muffled grunts. Sounds that sounded like punches.

Then I heard a scream of agony & a loud thud. I ran around the corner to the alleyway to see Jack.

His hands covered in blood. A bloody knife in his hands. Hugh lying face down on the cold swampy gravel. Jack's face filled of anger & fear.

"You killed him?" I gawked. He looked at me, like he was trying to apologise to me.

"You killed Hugh!" I cried, "he has been in my life since I was seven! He was my best friend. You killed my best friend!"

Jack motioned forward but I backed away slowly.

"You're crazy," I uttered, tears in my eyes. I bolted. My breath was heavy. My heart was racing. Maybe Jack was bad for me. Maybe he was poisoning me.