28. Birthday

We were in the kitchen, Ayra and I. She was beating the egg yolk while I was mixing the sugar with the egg white. I tried calling Jafferys, but my calls haven't been answered yet. I don't know why they weren't lifting the calls. After calling six to seven times, I came to help her. I should be more patient.

"That's enough." Ayra's voice brought me back to the presence.

She took the bowl and mixed the batter. After all the procedure, we kept it in the oven and waited for it to bake. We did the cleaning while it was getting baked. Excusing myself, I went into my room to call again.

Maybe I should wait. I thought, as barely half an hour passed when I last called. Ignoring my thought, I called. Waiting for anyone to pick it up. Again it went unanswered until the last bell. I called again, this is last for today. Again the same response from them as well as from me. Ok, one last time. Waiting for the voice instead of the ringing sound, I was impatiently walking in my room.

"Hello." Finally, someone picked up. A lady.

"Hey! um." What should I say? "I am Levy."

"Levy who?" She asked.

"Levy Troustkey, are you Mrs. Jaffery?"

"I am. Levy Troustkey, we already told your brother that we are not taking the complete responsibility of the company. There'll be no further discussion on that." She said.

"No, wait. I didn't call-" before I could finish, I heard a beep sound of disconnection.

"You bad listener." I threw the phone on the bed.

Stupid woman!

Sighing, I fall back heavily on the bed. I shouldn't call her stupid. Stretching my hands, I was looking at the fan through my fingers, I don't think she'll receive the call again. Glancing one last time on the phone, I took a book from my stack of books and left the room. Ayra and Adam were watching tv. I sat beside them, reading the book. It was almost time for brother to return from the work. When he was back we're waiting for the clock to strike 12'. When it did, we barged into his room with a cake, shouting 'happy birthday'. It was a bit awkward for me, I haven't wished anyone like this before. But the weirdest was the expression on his face.

"Happy birthday." Adam was the first to hug him.

Next was Ayra then me ."Happy Birthday, Admund." I gave him a smile indicating 'I called you by your name'. He smiled back. We gave our gifts and were relieved that he liked them. He kept the flower box in a showcase and hung the chain at the side of the table lamp.

Later we went to a restaurant for dinner. It was a beautiful restaurant, a huge hall with many square tables covered by cream cloths. Separated by indoor plants, like a cherry blossom in pinkish-orange color. Round lanterns were hanging from the roof with a candle in it. Windows were long vertical-rectangle with cream curtains tied on either side. We ordered our food and were eating silently until a sound from outside distracted us. Adam went near the window to see the source of the sound and found a street performance. He returned and finished his food quickly.

After waiting for me to finish, he said. "Let's go and watch." Pulling me out of the chair.

I peeked through the window and saw a huge crowd formed around the performers.

"I am not coming," I said to Adam.

"C'mon, don't be boring." He said between his dragging efforts.

"We cannot pass through that crowd, you can watch from here." I pointed to the window. "It's high and clear."

"No, we are going down."