"So tonight, I invite all of you, not as members of the Crescent Pack, but as loyal wolves, brothers and sisters to all, to run into the night. Tonight, we will run for the loss of so many werewolf souls and remember that we are not weakened by this tragedy – no, we are stronger now more than ever."

Roars were heard all around Annie and Tristan as the wolves approved of their Alpha's speech. Annie could feel how strong the pack was becoming. And not just in a sense that they were powerful, but they were proud.

Annie took a hold of Tristan's hand and ran her thumb over it. Albeit she was still upset from earlier, she was comforted by her mate's words and touch. Tristan returned his mate's gesture by pecking her hand.

Annie and Tristan stood on the forest line with the wolves right behind them. Max and Cindy stood right behind them, giving reassurance if need be. Before they began, Annie stopped Tristan.

"Tristan," Annie whispered softly so only her mate could hear. "You may comfort me in this time of grief, but the pain will never go away."

By surprise, Tristan pushed back a piece of Annie's hair and held her hand.

"Trust me," Tristan whispered back with sincere eyes, "I know."

In that moment, Annie realized that Tristan hadn't just built a wall between the two of them, but he had built it many years before the two met. Annie remembered the time she heard Cindy and Max whispering to each other about Tristan. And then she remembered her conversation with the girls the first night in the Crescent Pack and the conversation with Cindy the night before. They had all revealed to Annie that Tristan is a complex man, but he can be figured out. With time, love, and honesty.

Tristan turned back to the forest and gave Annie's hand on last squeeze. Letting go of Annie's hand, Tristan and Annie began running into the woods. They transformed into their wolves and the pack followed suit.

Howls rang through the woods as the pack of wolves zipped past trees. Annie hadn't let her wolf out for what felt like months. She was finally able to let her wolf stretch her legs.

Annie watched as Tristan's black wolf ran beside her. He looked straight with determination yet his bright yellow eyes held something else, holding back something.

They ran to the edge of the Callisto Territory. Annie and Tristan's wolves stood on the border and the pack followed. The wind brushed against Annie's wolf's fur. There was a slight chill in the air but the sky was clear, every star bright in the sky and the moon full.

As Annie's wolf looked out passed her pack's territory, she let out a howl. Howls rang all around the quiet night. The wolves ran back to the Crescent Pack with the howls still lingering in the air. Tristan gave Annie a silent glance and ran towards a tree. Tristan grabbed a pair of shorts and a long shirt from the burrow in the tree.

Annie glanced around, noting Tristan and her were alone. Tristan came back with shorts on and laid the shirt on the ground next to her. Feeling self-aware, Annie took the shirt and ran to a tree. Annie shifted and pulled the shirt on.

Tristan sat on the ground waiting for Annie. His arms were behind him as he stared into the night sky. Annie quietly sat next to him – just enough to please her wolf yet far enough away to not touch him.

"Looking at the stars and moon keeps me calm," Tristan revealed in a soothing voice, breaking the silence. "My brother used to tell me stories about the stars and the Moon Goddess."

Annie held in a gasp. She was shocked. Her mate hasn't opened up to her at all since the moment she set foot on his territory. In fact, he's pushed her away, avoided her, and treated her like she was lower than him. But her wolf won't let her pull away, so Annie has to find a way to break down the walls Tristan's built around his heart.