thirteen

The next morning, I am rushed out of bed by Raven (in her natural form) and forced to get dressed, eat breakfast and head to Hank's laboratory. When everyone arrived, we pushed open the door with a sign on it that read 'Gone to the airbase, bring the crate marked X. Hank', only to reveal Hank's once neat and well-organised lab trashed. I look at Raven strangely and she shrugs her shoulders.

"What the hell happened here?" says Erik.

I nod, "That's what I'd like to know," I then say, looking around the room.

Like the sign requested, we headed over to the big, grey crate marked in duct tape with a big 'X' on the top. As Charles opens it up, I wince at the ugly blue and yellow colours that are beheld.

"Hank has been busy," Erik smirks.

"Do we really have to wear these?" Alex says, clearly speaking my mind. After a moment, Charles replies.

"As none of us mutated to endure extreme g-force or being riddled by bullets, I suggest we suit up."

Being the first, I grab my suit and gloves, labeled with a piece of paper and some tape with my name on it, and head to race towards the downstairs bathroom before anybody else can beat me there. I take of my normal clothes and slip on the blue and yellow one-pieced suit, along with the pair of gloves. Before leaving the room, I glance into the mirror and grimace at how the clothes fit on my body.

Everybody else finished changing around ten minutes later, so we headed to Charles' van and made our way to the airbase, which wasn't too far away. I sat beside Charles and Alex as Moira drove, and Charles explained to the each of us how our suits were designed to work.

"Do you see that circle there on your suit Alex?" Charles says, poking him, Alex, right in the middle of his chest. "That essentially is a panel which harnesses and focuses your energy output, causing you to be able to aim much quicker and much, much easier.

"The reason why you have a one-piece suit, Amelia," he says to me, "is because the overpowering material of which this suit was made, is waterproof, and unless you would like it to, no liquid will soak through causing your skin to react. Now, I understand that you have not yet gained full control over your tail, but this will make it much easier, as your tail will not unwillingly appear as you wear it. Now, I understand that at times, you may need to transform which is why this material is able to merge as your body does so too."

As Charles speaks, I nod along trying to understand the gist of the suit. What I understood from it, was that the suit does not let any water seep through the pores, however it may transform if I need it to, and have some control of my tail.

"In case of emergency, and you would like to transform without full control of your ability, I suggest slipping off your glove and dunking your hand in the said water source. Now, do you both understand?" Charles finally finishes off his speech with a glance in both mine and Alex's direction, to which we both nod our heads at. "Okay," he says, turning to explain Sean's suit to Sean.

We arrive at the airbase not long after Charles finishes his explanation, and enter through the very large garage doors. As we enter, we are all at awe as we stare up at the large jet that is beheld.

"Holy shit," Sean says, being the first to speak. "Is this ours?"

"Apparently so," Charles says.

"Never mind that," Raven says. "Where's Hank?"

"I'm here."

At first, I wasn't entirely sure where the voice came from. I furrow my eyebrows and look to Raven in confusion, but see her looking in the complete opposite direction towards the door. I then notice that everyone else is doing the same. I follow along with everyone else and look towards the door, only to see a large, furry figure enter the large shed. I squint my eyes to focus on who exactly it was that was speaking, but drop my jaw as I see the glasses perched upon their nose. The same glasses that once was worn by Hank, but was now worn by what looks like a tall, blue gorilla standing on two feet. Then, I finally realise, it is Hank.

"Hank?" Charles says, just as shocked as the rest of us, if not more. Everybody glances around at each other, not knowing what else to do.

"It didn't attack the cells, it enhanced them." When Hank opened his mouth, I almost expected an entirely different voice to inhabit the new Hank. I was quite surprised to say the least. "It didn't work."

"Yes it did, Hank," Raven says from beside Erik. We all look at her. "Don't you see? This is who you were meant to be. This . . . is you." Raven reaches up and cups Hanks face, and I see him crack a minuscule smile. "No more hiding."

"Never looked better man," Erik says, patting Hank on the shoulder. Before anyone could do anything, Hank, without breaking eye-contact with Raven, reached towards Erik and grabbed him tightly by the throat, lifting him into the air.

"Don't mock me," he growls, pulling Erik towards himself.

"Hank. Hank, put him down immediately please," Charles says, and I could tell he was getting angry. "Hank! HANK!" He raises his voice. It was only then, that Hank decides to drop Erik, who immediately falls to the floor and breathes in. Then, he looks up.

"I wasn't."

"Even I gotta admit, you look pretty badass," Alex says from beside me, looking up at Hank. I grab his wrist as to tell him not to say anything, but he continues. "I think I got a new name for you: Beast." Hank breathes, not knowing what to say about his new name. Sean breaks the silence.

"Are you sure you can fly this thing?" He says to Hank, nodding towards the large jet.

"Of course I can, I designed it."

hey everyone, thanks for reading this chapter! once again, this isn't very long but I kinda wanted  to have them be on the jet in the next chapter so the fighting kinda bits can be all in one chapter idk.

I'll publish another chapter soon, maybe in 4-7 days time so please vote, comment, add to your library etc, etc.

thanks for 13.5k reads, it means a lot!

- a