ten

Eventually, I found Erik and he explained to me how he controls metals. He uses emotions; pain, anger, grief and the need to get revenge. Though I would preferably use another method of control, it was good enough, and so soon enough, I started training. But not just with Charles, I trained with everyone; Erik, Hank, Raven, Sean and most of all, Alex.

Since that night in the kitchen, Alex and I continued to meet almost every night at the same time in the same place. Unlike the first night, we didn't just talk about our mutual feelings for each other, we spoke about everything; family, friends (which I didn't have much to say about), our abilities, and most of all, how our days went. Both mine and his training went almost perfectly. Everyday we would be making progress, although I still haven't been able to control water.

After a long afternoon of training both in and out of the pool, I finish up in the shower and enter my room, only to find a sad-looking Raven sprawled out on my bed. As I close the door behind me, making a loud click, her head shoots up, but she doesn't smile like usual.

"Raven?" I say furrowing my eyebrows. "Are you okay? You look sad."

"I am sad," she says. For a moment we stay there on my bed in utter silence, until I decide to ask what was wrong.

"Everything," she says with a sob, "do you think I'm pretty? Be honest." And she sits up onto my bed, looking me in the eyes.

"Raven, why would you even ask that? You're one of the prettiest girls I've met, honestly," I say and she snorts.

"Yeah well you haven't exactly met many girls, have you?" she asks, rhetorically. I smile and shrug my shoulders, a little offended. I look down at my lap and so does Raven, and once again, we are silent.

"Now do you think I'm pretty," she says and I look up at her. At first, I don't think it is her; she has blue, scaly skin, yellow eyes and bright orange hair. But when I get a closer look at her, I notice she still has the same features. She has the same contoured nose, thick lips and skinny neck. But she still looks just as gorgeous as before, this time she's just in her true form.

"Raven, I told you, you're one of the prettiest girls I've met. Nothing will change it, not blue skin or orange hair," I say and smile at her. She looks at me for a moment as if thinking about what to say, before she leaps forward and wraps her arms around me.

"You're my best friend, Amelia, and I don't think anyone appreciates me like you do. Not even Charles."

"Raven, that makes me feel so special but I know Charles appreciates you more than anyone else. What makes you say that? You've known him for years," I say, and when she pulls back, I notice tears welling up in her yellow eyes. She shakes her head and they come rolling down her face.

"I walked into Charles' room like this and he told me to put some clothes on," Raven says. "I mean, I get that I was technically naked but he's seen me like that before. He saw me like that the first time we ever met and he wasn't scared."

I open my mouth to say something when I hear a knock on the door. A second later, I see Erik standing in the doorway.

"Am, can you please. . . am I interrupting something?" 

"Yeah, sorr-"

"No, that's fine, I was leaving," Raven cuts me off, standing up and rushing out of the room before Erik and I could say a word. I expect she was embarrassed, being seen by Erik in her true, but very beautiful, form. Erik looks at me for a moment with a raised brow, to which I shake my head at.

"I was wondering if you wanted to try practicing your ability to move water. I came up with an idea."

"Of course, let me get changed into my bathing suit, I'll just be a moment."