Chapter 33 - Past

Start from the beginning

Hawkins could see Cull's jaw tightening at the sight of Rin's timid and submissive posture. His eyes were pure cold, hard revenge and suddenly another vision washed over him as Cull warped into his younger self with the identical expression.

Hawkins blinked suddenly as his vision came back into focus, Cull's younger self warped into Hawkins own build, unruly hair and gaunt expression at the new, unfamiliar visitor stalked in with its large, scaly frame, terrifying fangs and cunning smile. 

But despite his terrifying entrance, his actions were kind and his voice far gentler than he seemed. He allowed the young Traited to ask all the questions he wanted, grab at the shiny Mediator badge and even attempt to create his own by drawing it. 

Hawkins barely noticed how young he was in the memory, only eight or nine years old yet he had never realised this visit had happened. He was happy, smiling and playing with the greyscale dragon as he tossed him various colours to draw with. 

The lizardman politely explained all the different symbols on the gilded badge, even receiving a goodbye hug from his younger self making his own heart swell. His parents were nowhere to be found.

 Hawkins looked down at his jacket in sorrow, pulling out his own Mediator badge and Hack's, noting the coloured smudges on the Sand Wraith's leather bound cover and his breath hitched. He ran his finger against the metal grooves and realised how old it truly was. Hack had kept the memory of their day together all this time and somehow he had forgotten.

 Rubbing his eyes despite the sting of grit between them, he felt for the black grimoire nestled in his pocket. It grew hot once more but it wasn't a scalding heat that could burn through steel. It was a gentle warmth, a loving reminder rising throughout his chest to lift the fog away from his mind.

Scouring his brain for the information he remembered his countless hours in the Halls of Mediation studying and training alone long after Blistrfall when the hour of sunlight dwindled below the reach of his home. He couldn't understand his own mental block, the reason for seeing such an old memory or what he was supposed to gleam from his younger self. 

The only thing he understood was...wait. Understanding. The Fifth Principle. It made sense. Memoriam wanted him to not just understand but to understand other Traited. The more empathetic he was when getting to know someone, the stronger the memories became.

 The black grimoire will was strengthened on the understanding he shared with others not on his Smoke Trait alone. That's why it latched on to Wisp, to Hack's memories and now to Cull's. It showed him his younger self not to patronise but to realise how similar they were with the strong bonds they made with others. They had found their own family in those closest to them. 

 Hawkins was willing to listen to Cull and now they were starting to open up more. He chose to connect with others not because he was forced to but because he genuinely wanted to. It understood how important it was to keep those ties alive long after they had perished. This is what Memoriam was. It wanted to remember.

A laugh bubbled up from within his chest but Mantis' scoff drowned out Hawkins' happiness at the sudden discovery. Her body language still proclaimed the false confidence of a leader despite a prominent sneer remained on her face. Getting through to Mantis...would be difficult.

"Yeah, well we can handle Domino."

Hawkins struggled to recognise the name despite the niggling feeling of where he might've heard the name before. A vague memory flashed across his vision at the thought of an accusing glare paired with blazing red hair with grey roots peaking through.

 He blinked harshly, attempting to banish the reminder from his memory and tried not to dwell on the close bonds between the two Fire Traited. Cull remained near his sister, watching his leader through narrowed eyes still keen to ward away any sly words that came his way.