Chapter Twenty-Three: Christmas Holidays

Mulai dari awal

"Isn't it obvious?" 

"If it's really wrong for a student to date someone working for the school," Simon said, "then why is she openly flirting at him?"

"Because she's a bitch, that's why," I spat and surprised myself for saying such a bad word.

Simon whistled and I scowled. "I never heard you swear before," he noticed. "Or maybe I had but just forgotten about it."

"It's true," I said defensively. We were walking quite far away from them so I wasn't worried if they could hear us. "She is one. She's jealous with me because of the attention I get in our club. I'm a newbie and she's angry that I was even considered a good singer than her."

"I think she's just being human," my brother said.

I snorted. "Are you siding with her? I'm your sister."

"I'm not siding with anyone. It's just maybe she's used with the attention she was given when you weren't in the club. She became prideful and when you got there, she's just jealous. She's just being a human, that's all."

"She's being a wicked witch."

"A wicked witch? Seriously? That's the best you can get? Are you a third-grader or something?"

"Whatever," I said, rolling my eyes at him.

We fell into silence as we followed Wendy and Winston to the cafe Wendy was talking about. It was two blocks away from the mall and it was really tiring to walk with the shopping bags I was carrying the whole time. Simon helped me, of course, but it still wasn't enough. Not to mention Wendy was openly flirting with my boyfriend in front of me. Does she have any manners or something? Then again, she might not be doing this if she have known I was really dating him.

Finally, we arrived at the cafe. It was really warm inside so I took off my coat. We picked the seat at the back and ordered four cups of coffee and four choco mousse cake.

"So, where are you going for the holidays?" Wendy asked conversationally. The question was directed to Winston, not to Simon or I.

"Just here," he replied. "Josephine's my guardian and she's the housekeeper of Erin and Simon. I'll be spending my Christmas with them."

"How about you two?" she asked, now turning to me.

"Also here. It's our first time not spending Christmas with our parents and... it's weird," I said. Not just weird, but also sad. Christmas was one of my favorite holidays of the year and my parents weren't here anymore to celebrate it with me. Just the thought of it makes me sad and it kind of hurts a lot.

"But we'll manage," Simon added. "Gina is a very good person and she's doing the best she can for us not to be depressed."

A smile made its way to my lips. That was the first time I heard Simon talk about our aunt that way. "So... Australia, huh?"

Wendy shrugged her thin shoulders. "Yep. Every year. My parents hate the snow though I like it very much. They don't even care what I think. All they wanted was to please themselves."

An awkward silence enveloped the four of us. Luckily, the waitress came with our orders and we began drinking our coffee and eating our cake.

"Do you know any one who can teach me to drive?" Winston asked Wendy. 

I was surprised he even asked her. Winston was asking everyone if they know someone who can teach him drive. He wanted to have his license so he could drive himself anywhere he wants to go. I would have taught him but I suck at teaching people. Simon could, but there was never a time. He was busy with football. So were Gina and Josephine, who were busy with their own work.