Chapter Two: First Day of School

"Good morning everyone!" Gina greeted us, smiling as she made her way to the dining hall. Then she plopped down to the seat next to mine. "How's your day?"

"Our day is only starting," Simon pointed out.

Gina ignored him. "Anyway, are you guys going to school today? I've already enrolled you when we were still in New York."

I shrugged a shoulder. "It seems like the normal thing to do. I mean, we can't just stay here in the house and sulk about our parents."

My brother shot me a dirty look but didn't say anything. He just continued eating in his breakfast. Gina, meanwhile, was still smiling as she dug in her bacon and hotdogs. "So, where's Josephine?" she asked conversationally.

"Well, she's in her house," I replied.

"Her house? I thought she lives here."

"Her apartment is the house next to ours."

"Well, guess what I'm going to do," she said playfully.

I stayed silent but Simon had the heart to sigh and say, "What?"

Gina giggled girlishly first before answering. "I'm going to have a job interview! In your school! We'll still be together even in the morning."

Simon and I exchanged glances and we telepathically agreed that we don't want to see our aunt in school. Don't get us wrong. It's not like we really hate her. It's just we find her annoying. I looked at her and then faked a smile. "Um... what's your job going to be?"

"I don't know yet. Whatever they think best."

"Why does it have to be our school?" I asked, sighing. "There are lots of places where you could apply."

 Gina just waved me off with her hand. "Whatever."

Fortunately, I resisted the urge to roll my eyes. Instead, I went back to my breakfast and began to eat. It's the next day after we arrived in our new house. Simon and I don't want to stay in the house because there's no TV yet and we don't know anyone in town so we decided to go to school. We already know we're enrolled so no problem. 

Josephine left us a note that our breakfast was already and that she would be gone until four in the afternoon. Earlier I wondered what she was up to but then Simon just told me that maybe she's meeting a boyfriend or something. Or maybe she was divorced and she was just visiting her kids. Things like that were the most natural thing that could happen. Yet I can't help thinking that there's something... odd about Josephine. 

I finally finished my breakfast and placed my plate on the sink. Simon finished his too and then the both of us walked upstairs to brush our teeth. This house was so grand that each room has a bathroom - which I really like. At last, a bathroom for my own use!

"Hey, do you want a ride to school? We could go get our schedule together," my brother suddenly said.

I blinked, surprised. It was not like Simon to just offer something like that. We're not that close, but sometimes we are. After all, we're the only kids. We've got to stick together. "Uh, okay. Sure."

My brother gave me an awkward smile and then went inside his room. I went inside mine and then dug out my toothbrush and toothpaste from my suitcase. I was too tired last night to unpack my things so I left everything just on the side of the room. 

After brushing my teeth, I inspected my reflection using the full-length mirror. Thankfully, it didn't bother me when I was trying to sleep last night. I bit my lip nervously as I twirled in front of my mirror.  What if the students in my new school would think my outfit would be slutty? Or too nerdy? Okay, maybe I'm overreacting but I've never changed schools before. My school in New York was the kind of the school where everybody knows everybody since kindergarten.