Part 52

I nervously paced the room, worried about Carl and confused about Negan's threat.
Deep down I knew I should have listened to Joey and not gone up there, especially with a knife, but after finding out that Carl was with Negan after what he did.. I was thinking the worst.
And what Negan said to Dwight about the furnace.. I still didn't understand.

I laid down on the small bed that I knew Daryl slept in; so desperately wanting to be close to him. My stomach turned knowing that he had to see Negan and I kiss again.. and I didn't even resist it.
A tear rolled down my cheek as I wondered what he thought about me; if he even cared about me like he used to. The hurtful words that he spoke still echoed through my head every time I thought about him, but so did the sweet ones.
I was constantly torn with what I was feeling, but the one thing I knew for a fact, was that I loved Daryl no matter what.

As my mind continued to race, I remembered the keys; the keys that I had stolen off of Joey and hid in this room.
I quickly sprung off the bed, looking underneath it, but seeing that it was empty. A list of possibilities ran through my head knowing that Daryl had been staying in here and probably found them.
I then lifted the mattress, knowing he'd hide them better than I did, but still put them in a place where I could easily get them if I had the opportunity to; and I was right.

I snatched the keys, quickly shoving them in my pocket and letting my loose shirt fall over it.

Immediately after, the door to the room I was in, opened up; Joey standing on the other side.

"Negan wanted me to come get you." He said, quietly.

"He's not mad at you is he? I- I told him it wasn't your fault-- the knife." I asked apologetically as I met him at the door.

"He didn't talk about it," he said before pulling the door closed behind me and leading me down the hall, "But I'm not risking getting in anymore trouble because of you."

"I'm sorry, Joey-"

"Good, you should be-- you should have listened to me." He said bluntly.

I sighed, "Where are we going?"

"Someone's getting the iron; I'm just thankful it isn't me."

"What? Who?" I asked, beginning to panic as what Negan said to Dwight started to make sense.

"A worker named Mark; he does redirect duty." Joey informed.

My mind eased a bit knowing that Daryl and Carl were safe, but still, fear coursed through my body knowing what was about to happen.

"But why? What did he do?" I asked, genuinely curious.

Joey shrugged before speaking again, "I guess one of Negan's wives cheated on him with Mark."

The answer nearly made my heart stop, not because I felt bad for Negan, but because of what happened with Daryl in the stairwell. I know we didn't do anything-- I definitely didn't cheat on Negan, but I knew if he found out.. he wouldn't take it lightly. I wouldn't be too worried about it if only Daryl and I knew what happened, but Dwight also knew, and he's already ratted me out once in the past.

Joey pushed open the doors, revealing a large group of people surrounding a man who was tied to a chair; a blazing fire beside him. Negan was nowhere to be seen, which almost relieved me to be honest.

I ignored the stares from the faces of people I still didn't know yet, as Joey led me through the crowd, stopping as we got to the front; my eyes locking with Daryl's before I quickly looked away, ashamed of what happened with Negan.

Suddenly, loud bangs came from the metal walkway above causing the crowd of people to immediately kneel as Negan came into view; Carl walking behind him.
I was the only one left standing; not because I wanted to rebel, but because I never had to kneel for him before-- I do have to admit though, it felt weird being the odd one out.

"You too, darling." Negan's deep voice echoed through the large room.

I furrowed my eyebrows at him, confused, but soon complied.

"You know the deal," he began, "What's about to happen is going to be hard to watch-- I don't wanna do it. I wish I could just ignore the rules and let it slide, but I can't. Why?"

"Rules keep us alive!" The crowd I was in chanted back at his question.

"That is right!" He nodded, "We survive, we provide security to others, we bring civilization back to this world; we are.. The Saviors."

His speech almost made me sick to my stomach; the lies he was spewing to his terrified followers.

"But we can't do that without rules-- rules are what make it all work." He continued, "I know it's not easy, but there is always work- there is always a cost; here, if you try to cut corners, then it is the iron for you."

I let out a shaky breath; the tension in the room almost too unbearable before Negan spoke again.

"On your feet." He ordered, making his way down the stairs and in through the crowd of people.
Carl following quietly behind him, giving me a small nod as our eyes met, assuring me that he was ok.

"D." Negan said as he put on a large glove, causing Dwight to quickly pull a glowing red iron out of the furnace.

"Mark, I'm sorry." He said, grabbing the iron as panic quickly appeared on Mark's face, "But it is what it is."

I wanted so desperately wanted to stop this- just stop all of it from happening to this man I didn't even know, but I knew I wouldn't be able to. I've exhausted every last effort I had into saving myself and others and at this point, I knew I'd just do more damage than good.

I then watched as Negan walked closer to Mark, shooting a glance my way before connecting the iron to the tied up mans face.

The gasps around the room were quickly drowned out by the horrific screams coming from the man-- screams that I swear could be heard from over a mile away.
As multiple people turned away and covered their eyes, I quickly threw my hands over my ears, desperate to not hear the sounds that I knew would haunt me for the rest of my life.

His screams soon died down as he passed out from the pain; the room now eerily silent with only the shuffling of feet and quiet sobs to be heard.

"That wasn't so bad now, was it?" Negan chuckled, "Doc, I'm done-- do your thing."

As I watched their doctor tend to the man, I felt tear fall down my cheek, causing me to realize the emotional state I was in after witnessing what just happened.

"Well, the pussy passed out, but it's settled-- we're square, everything is cool." Negan said nonchalantly, "Let Mark's face be a daily reminder to him, and to everyone else, that the rules matter. I hope that we all learned something today, because I don't ever want to have to do that shit again."

I shook my head, not wanting to listen to anything he said as my eyes scanned the room, trying to look anywhere but at the man who was now out cold, before I briefly locked eyes with Dwight; now knowing exactly what he went through. I quickly wiped at my cheeks, looking away; more tears threatening to spill at all the horrific things that have happen at this place; all the people that have been hurt.
I knew from the start this place was hell and the man who ran it was nothing but a monster, but I still stayed; I still gave into it and I still gave into him-- not always willingly, but I knew I didn't fight back as much as I should've.
He made me regret so much.

_____
Please remember to vote if you enjoyed the chapter, it really helps!

Let me know what you thought.