Chapter 33

Devon had the truck repainted and ready to go in less than twenty-four hours. Jerome had the new logo printed up and ready to attach to the truck in just a little over that time as well. Edgar could see the plan coming together and met Devon behind the Thai restaurant as he pulled into the back alley with his newly painted delivery truck. Edgar ran a hand across the side panel.

     "Did you use the paint I asked you to apply?" Edgar asked.

     "Yes, that shit is bloody expensive." Devon said as he hopped out of the truck, "But it's a good thing you're paying for all expenses."

     "Not today." Edgar said as he pulled out a thick wad of cash from his pocket, "Today all expenses are on Uncle Sam. This is the payment Mrs. Johnson made for the necklace via the government's plastic. This will cover us for gas and food while we make the road trip to the three addresses Jerome gave us. All of them are less than two hour's drive from one another. We have to get going soon, we promised delivery within two days. Is Tank and his boys ready?"

     "As ready as they're ever going to be." Devon answered as he started to put on the uniform. Edgar took off his coat and started to do the same. Both he and Devon were going to make the delivery together. Devon had prepared for this job by shaving off his beard and even cutting his hair. Combined with the light brown jumpsuit, there was no way anyone wouldn't suspect that he didn't do this job for a living. He usually didn't get this personal with a case, but considering what happened to his crew, Devon wasn't willing to put anyone else in the line of fire but himself over the next while. He was more than capable of taking care of himself and didn't feel the need to put anyone else in harm's way too soon after what happened at Tuck's office. Cyrus and the boys are tough enough to take care of themselves as well. Edgar was going to get his money's worth with that crew, as they were a very, very tough group of goons. He understood Edgar's reason for wanting them on this mission as too much muscle was never a bad thing especially when you're walking into what could be the proverbial lion's den.

     He had to admit having Cyrus's men in the background and Cyrus himself watching over them made him feel a little safer going into this operation. This wasn't a first time for Edgar and Devon, but the last time they tried something this risky it didn't work out too well. With the money and the people in place, Devon was a little more confident that this one would work out a little bit better. They have their bases covered a little more than they did last time and have the muscle in case things go wrong. Edgar had definitely learned from his mistakes and things were bound to work out this time. Both men were determined and ready to kick ass. Hopefully no one would get hurt, but he was armed as usual, with a nice secret compartment in his truck that he modified himself. There were several weapons on that truck, so he was ready for anything.

     Edgar finished putting on his jumpsuit and looked back to Devon, "Don't say a single word. I know there are a few extra pounds."

     "A few?" Devon repeated with a grin, "No comment..."

     Jerome came down from his nest for the first time in days, and took a look at the truck. His logo was flawless and with it the truck looked completely legit. He turned to Edgar, "No chance I can change your mind about staying behind?"

     "No dice, sport." Edgar said as he put on his light brown baseball cap, "We need you guys to stay here where it's safe."

     He said as he hopped into the truck. Devon took the wheel because he was used to and more comfortable driving that behemoth.

     "We'll keep in contact and let you know what happens." Devon reassured the young man. "For now we're going to stay silent until this whole thing is over."