V • DÓRO

dóro

dóro

gift

|||||

Annabeth wrung her fingers together as she stared at the door Cameron had walked out of four hours ago. Though she couldn't explain it, she felt anxious about his disappearance.

Drew had just left her, saying something about having to do patrol for something. Annabeth acted as if she knew what Drew was talking about and let the girl leave. But now, she regretted it.

Every time there was a noise, Annabeth jumped in fear. Anytime the house was silent, Annabeth waited for something to break it. And she hated herself for it.

Her life seemed to have morphed from a living hell to waiting around for someone to come and save her.

"Thalia Grace," she whispered to herself, hoping that by saying the name it would trigger more memories about the girl. "Thalia Grace."

But she couldn't remember anything more than the pathetic shards of memories that she thought of earlier. Thalia Grace was a faceless female in Annabeth's mind. The only feature she possessed was a pair of electric blue eyes.

Annabeth fingered the ornate mirror Drew had given her earlier. She hadn't yet worked up the courage to look at her reflection. Although she was curious, she was also scared that she didn't even know what she looked like. Annabeth feared what would be staring back at her in that mirror.

The door slammed open, and Annabeth jumped so hard that she fell off of the bed.

"What are you doing on the ground?" Cameron asked, his eyebrows knitting together.

Annabeth sobbed, and lunged for him. She wrapped her thin arms tightly around his torso. Cameron sucked in his breath sharply, his stomach pulling inwards.

"Woah! I was only gone for a few hours, Annabeth," he said, not hiding the surprise in his voice. Cameron hesitantly hugged Annabeth back, and tried to ignore the sobbing noises she made.

Annabeth pressed her face into his shirt, not caring about the snot and tears that stained it.

"Were you alone?" he asked gently. Annabeth could only nod in response. "That won't happen again, Annabeth. I promise."

But his promise wasn't enough. When she had woken up earlier that day, Cameron said she wouldn't be left alone again, and then she was. Annabeth was slowly learning that promises meant very little.

|||||

Several minutes passed by, and Annabeth was proving to be inconsolable. No matter how many times Cameron patted her back or whispered softly, her sobs continued to rack her body. Not for the first time, he found himself jealous of Chris and his kind and friendly demeanor that allowed him to be good with people. The only thing Cameron was good at was lying and fighting, and there was no way to do either right now.