III • MONOS

monos

monos

alone

Annabeth's eyes flew open, her heart beating wildly in her chest as a result of the nightmares she was dragged through. Surprisingly, the real world wasn't the black nothingness she had grown accustomed to: there was a bright light. She squinted as she looked around.

It took several heartbeats for the realization to sink in: she was no longer imprisoned. Yesterday, she had been rescued. Annabeth gripped the worn quilt in her hands, running her fingers along the material as she looked around the room.

It was an open space with several windows that allowed beams of sunlight to fill the room. The bed was large, big enough to fit two other people in along with Annabeth. The carpet was white and looked brand new. She glanced beneath her, and noted that the once white sheets were now smeared with dirt and blood, no doubt from having her laying on them.

There were four doors in the room. One, one, and the last two were together.

One of the doors had to lead to where her rescuers were. There was a strange feeling inside her, like something was missing. Annabeth's breathing intensified as she looked around the room again. Everything looked safe, normal. Then, it dawned on her what was missing.

There was no one there.

Then, she was screaming. Her body thrashed out of control, her limbs flying wildly. She was alone, just like all that time trapped. Alone.

Annabeth was suffocating, a fear she never knew she had. She was drowning, somehow, and she couldn't breathe no matter how many times she inhaled.

She.

Was.

Alone.

Her eyesight was taken over by a violent shade of red as she struggled against the invisible ropes that held her down. Annabeth wanted out.

"What the Hades is going on in here?" a voice growled, the door slamming open. "What happened?"

Dolos. He had come down, no doubt to interrogate her. Annabeth cried out, and kicked. But her legs were tangled in something, and she couldn't free them.

"Hey! Hey, you're okay. You're okay," the voice said soothingly. A voice that did not, could not belong to Dolos.

Annabeth's vision came back, and she looked around the room. She was laying on top of a comfortable mattress, and what she believed to be ropes were actually soft blankets. It was the same room in which she had awakened. Same quilt, same windows, same doors.

Annabeth was far away from Dolos, and she would never go back there again.

She wrapped the quilt around her shoulders and panted while crying thickly.