Chapter 25

"So what did you think?" Cole asked me a week later when I got back from New York. We were hanging out in my room, ignoring our homework as usual.

"It's amazing. The building's beautiful, and everyone was really nice. I even got to take a few classes to see what it's like." I looked up at him. "I really love it there." I almost felt guilty saying it.

"That's awesome, Kenna," he answered. I tried to look for disappointment or anger in his voice, but I couldn't find any. He was genuinely happy for me. "So what do you think you're going to do?"

I sighed. "I don't know. I think...I think I'm leaning towards going." I looked at him to see his reaction.

And he was smiling. Not a huge smile, but still. He took my hand in his. "Okay. If that's what you want, I'll be here for you. I just want you to be happy."

I squeezed his hand. "Thank you. For everything."

Before he could respond, my mom came into my room. She didn't have to knock since the door wasn't allowed to be closed when Cole was over. My mom was pretty great - but she's still a mom. "Hey, McKenna, you got a letter."

I got up, and she handed it to me. As soon as I read the return address, my eyes went wide and my heart started pounding.

It was from LaGuardia.

With shaky hands, I carefully opened the envelope and took the letter out, not looking at it. Cole had gotten up to stand next to me, and I handed it to him. "Can you open it?"

He slowly opened the letter, his eyes scanning the page. At first he didn't show any kind of reaction, and I felt my heart plummet straight to the ground.

I didn't get in.

But then he looked up. And smiled.

This time, it was the biggest smile I'd ever seen on him.

"You got in."

"What?" I couldn't believe it.

"You got in!" He picked me up and spun me around, smiling like it was him that got in. Then he put me down so my mom could hug me. "I'm so proud of you, honey."

Then the doorbell rang, and my mom went downstairs to answer it, but not before she hugged me one more time and kissed my cheek.

Cole was still celebrating but stopped when he saw my face. "Kenna? Are you okay?"

I nodded. "Yeah. It's just a lot to take in. This has all happened in less than two weeks. And Maria said I have to tell them my decision by December eighteenth. That's next week."

He put his arms around me, and I leaned into him, wishing I could stay there forever. "I know it's stressful. But don't do anything unless you're absolutely sure it's the right thing for you."

I thought back to the first time I met Maria, when she told me how talented I was. I thought about what my family had said to me, what Emma and Cole had said. I thought about my visit to the school, and how I'd fallen in love with it right away.

I thought about the boy who was holding me in that moment, and how much it would hurt to leave him.

But then I thought about how much more it would hurt knowing I gave up on my dream. I'd still be dancing if I stayed in Pennsylvania, but I wouldn't be getting the training I needed to be a professional dancer someday.

Cole would still be here when I got back. We might not be together, but he'd still be here.

This opportunity wouldn't.