Chapter 23

Breathe, Kenna. Just breathe.

I stood backstage at the showcase, my eyes closed and one hand on my stomach. Even after eleven years of performing, I still got nervous. I found I could keep my nerves down by putting a hand on my stomach and feeling myself breathe, in and out.

I opened my eyes, watching Emma perform her solo. I tried not to look into the crowd; I could tell there were a lot more people there than I'd been expecting, mostly thanks to Cole and the advertising he'd done on social media.

Emma had choreographed her solo to Let It Go by James Bay, one of our favorite songs. As she finished a difficult turn sequence, I smiled and clapped for her along with the audience. I loved watching her dance. She had a natural gracefulness about her, and nearly everything in dance came like second nature to her.

She hit her last pose as the song came to an end, and as soon as the curtain closed she ran over to me.

I hugged her. "You were amazing, Em!"

"Thanks," she said with a grin, pulling away. "Good luck!"

I smiled at her and walked onto the stage, hitting my pose. I took one last deep breath as the curtain came up, and I felt the bright lights on my face. And even though I wasn't looking out at the audience, just knowing Cole was there suddenly took all my nerves away.

Hearing him yell, "Let's go, Gracie!" might've also helped a little bit.

Then the first notes of It's a Man's World started playing, and I forgot everything I was supposed to worry about. I just danced.

(A/N: skip to 2:31, stop at 4:05)

I grinned as I hit my final pose on the ground, the audience cheering and clapping for me. I tried to keep a straight face when I heard Cole whistling and yelling above everyone else, "That's my girl!" but definitely failed.

My solo was the last performance of the show, so all the other dancers joined me on stage as we took our final bows, holding hands. Emma stood next to me, and she squeezed my hand as we grinned at each other. I'd forgotten how much I loved performing. Dancing at football games and pep rallies was fun, but there was nothing like performing on a real stage.

~     ~     ~

Cole picked me up and spun me around as soon as he saw me after the show. I laughed as he put me down but still didn't let go of me, wrapping his arms around me. "Kenna, you were amazing!"

"Ew, don't hug me, I'm all gross!" I said, laughing.

He just squeezed me even tighter. "You really think I care?"

Finally he pulled away, taking my hand in his. "Seriously, Kenna, you were incredible. I know I've seen you dance before, but not like that. That was just...wow."

I blushed, looking away. I wasn't used to compliments. "Thanks. And thank you for being here. I know a dance showcase isn't the first place you'd want to be on a Saturday night."

Cole shook his head and gave me a cheesy smile. "Wherever you are is where I want to be."

I laughed, but I could tell I was blushing even more. He said the cheesiest things sometimes. "Okay, that was cute. You get brownie points for that."

He grinned and leaned down to kiss me on the cheek. Just as he was about to say something else, a dark-haired middle-aged woman came up to us. "Excuse me, are you McKenna Jacobs?"