Chapter 11

And like before, it hit me so hard and fast my head spun.

More than anything, I wanted him to kiss me.

I knew I couldn't say what I wanted to say; I knew the words wouldn't be right. So I stayed silent.

Instead, I looked into his eyes and slowly started to lean in, my heart racing when Cole did the same. My eyes fluttered closed, and I held my breath in anticipation.

And right when our lips were barely a hair's width apart, my phone rang.

Immediately, I snapped back into reality and pulled away, my face burning in embarrassment. I couldn't look at Cole; instead I pulled my phone out of my jacket pocket and cringed when I saw my notifications.

6 new messages:

from: Emma

where are you?

from: Emma

kenna?

from: Emma

wtf kenna where are you???

from: Lexi

hey, where are you? we've been looking for you everywhere

from: Emma

MCKENNA GRACE JACOBS

from: Emma

i swear to god kenna if you don't answer me rn i'm gonna kill you

Crap.

I sighed and answered the call from Emma, bracing myself. She doesn't get mad often, but when she does...well, I try to avoid her as much as possible.

"Hey," I said tentatively.

"Oh my god, Kenna, where the hell are you?! And why didn't you answer your phone? We've been freaking out for the past twenty minutes trying to find you!"

I closed my eyes and ran a hand through my hair, ignoring the confused glances Cole was sending me. "I'm so sorry, Em. I'm with Cole, we just lost track of time. And I guess my phone was on silent for some reason."

"Well you better get your ass back over here right now, we're performing in five minutes," she replied, her voice filled with annoyance.

"Okay, I'll meet you down at the bleachers."

She hung up without a word.

I sighed and turned off my phone, putting it in the pocket of my dance team jacket as I stood up. "Sorry, I have to go. It's almost halftime."

Cole nodded and stood up, stuffing his hands into his pockets. "Right."

I paused, taking a moment to gather my thoughts. "Look, Cole...I really don't want things to be awkward between us."

"Me neither," he said. "But please don't tell me you just want to be friends. Because, honestly, I don't think I can."

I looked up at him in surprise. "You...you like me?"

The corners of his mouth tugged upward. "Well, I did try to kiss you. Twice. I think that says something."

I laughed, shaking my head slightly. "Wow."

He stood there, waiting for me to say something else. When I didn't, he awkwardly rubbed the back of his neck and started walking away. "We should probably get back soon."

I bit my lip. "Cole, wait." I grabbed his hand and pulled him back towards me. Hesitantly, I rose up on my toes and kissed his cheek, pulling away seconds later to whisper in his ear, "By the way, I like you too."