Chapter 14

I woke up on the Monday after homecoming with a mix of emotions running through me. On one hand, I was excited to see Cole, especially now that I knew he actually liked me (which I still couldn't believe). On the other hand, I was kind of freaking out about seeing him. I'd never been through this before, and I had no idea how to act around him. I didn't even know what we were - were we just friends or something more? Then again, most friends don't confess their feelings for one another and almost kiss - four times.

I sighed and shook my head, trying to clear the nervous thoughts out of my mind. I knew I didn't have to be nervous around Cole, but sometimes I just couldn't help it.

Yawning, I got out of bed and headed straight to the bathroom, hoping a shower would wake me up.

Forty minutes later, I was dressed and ready to go, and I grabbed a quick breakfast in the kitchen before saying goodbye to my parents, slinging my backpack over my shoulder, and walking towards the bus stop. Cole wasn't there yet, so I figured he was running late.

A few minutes later, the bus pulled up in front of me, and I quickly glanced behind me for Cole before boarding. I still didn't see him, so I turned and asked the bus driver, "Would you mind waiting a few more minutes? Someone else is supposed to be at this stop, but I think he's just running late."

She nodded, and I thanked her before going to find an open seat. I sat down in the fifth row, unzipping my backpack and taking my earbuds out. I plugged them into my phone and closed my eyes, tuning out the people around me.

A minute later someone tapped me on the shoulder, startling me. I opened my eyes to see Cole sitting next to me, that signature smile on his face. I took one earbud out and smiled at him. "Hey," I said. "Catch the Warriors game last night?"

He groaned and shut his eyes. "I'm never going to live that down, am I?"

I grinned evilly. "Not as long as I'm around."

His face shifted, and a hint of a smile appeared. "Then I guess I'll have to learn to live with it."

I blushed, not knowing what to say. I mean, what do you say to a guy who constantly says things like that? It's impossible, I swear.

Luckily, Cole changed the subject. "What are you listening to?"

"Here." I held out an earbud for him, and he put in his ear as "All About Us" by Jordan Fisher, one of my favorite songs, starting playing.

Cole started nodding along to the beat, and I held back a laugh at his surprised expression. "Wow, this isn't half-bad."

"Are you saying you doubted my taste in music? I'm so disappointed in you, Cole."

He rolled his eyes. "You're so weird."

I grinned. "Thank you."

_________________________

Twenty minutes later we were at school, getting our books from our lockers. I grabbed my biology textbook, stuffed it into my backpack, and was about to go to homeroom when Cole grabbed my arm. "Kenna, wait. I...I have to ask you something."

My eyebrows furrowed in confusion. "Sure, what is it?"

He looked down and realized he was still holding onto my arm, and he quickly let go. His eyes darted everywhere but me, and I could see him gulping nervously.

"Cole, what is it?" I asked, concern filling my voice.

He took a deep breath. "I was wondering if...maybe...you wanted to, um, go...on a...date with me?" On the last word, his eyes flickered up toward me, and I could see the nervousness in them.

My eyes widened in shock, and I just stared at him like an idiot, not knowing what to do.

"Kenna? Are...are you okay?" He asked, a concerned expression on his face.

I blinked. Once. Twice. Then his words finally registered in my brain, and a smile spread across my face. "You just asked me out."

He laughed awkwardly. "Um, yeah."

I don't know what came over me, but I reached up and put my arms around him, squeezing him excitedly.

I could tell he was a little confused, but he just laughed and hugged me back, ignoring the weird looks we were getting from the people around us.

"And by the way," I whispered in his ear. "I would love to go on a date with you."

He pulled away, a huge and completely adorable smile spreading across his face. "Really?"

I laughed and nodded. "Really."

"Wow, um," he said, still sounding a little surprised. "H-how about this Friday?"

I smiled up at him. "Sounds good.

"Awesome. I'll pick you up at seven."

I couldn't help but grin. "I'll be waiting."

"And I promise I'll come up with a better pickup line than talking about the Warriors," he added with a laugh.

"I don't know, it's kind of growing on me."