Chapter 9

McKenna's POV

"I still can't believe you guys almost kissed," Emma said before stuffing a handful of popcorn in her face.

I blushed and looked down at my hands. "It's not that big of a deal."

She looked at me incredulously. "Are you kidding me? Cole Wagner almost kissed you!"

Sighing, I stood up from where I was sitting on my bed and starting walking around my room. "I know, I know. I honestly don't know why I stopped him. I guess I was just caught off guard."

"Yeah, I get it. But now he probably thinks you don't like him. And that couldn't be farther from the truth," she said with a laugh.

I rolled my eyes but relented. "You're right. I didn't want to give him the wrong idea, but that's exactly what I did." I sat back down on my bed and leaned back on my hands. "I just can't believe he actually tried to kiss me."

"Honestly, I'm not that surprised. We all knew it was coming," Em replied before correcting herself. "Well, everyone except you."

I sighed. Had I really been that clueless? Had he been giving me hints all along and I was just too blind to see them?

I thought back to three weeks ago at the football game I sang at; it was the first time Cole and I had really had a chance to talk alone. I blushed as I remembered his words after I sang the national anthem:

"I just wanted to say that you're a really good singer. I had no idea you were that talented."

I blushed. "Thanks, but I'm just average."

Cole shifted his gaze so he was looking right at me. "No, you're definitely not."

Was that supposed to be a sign?

I had no clue. I was probably the worst person in the world at trying to understand boys.

All I knew was that he tried to kiss me.

And I stopped him.

"Can we please just talk about something else?" I really just needed to get my mind off of him. Which, by the way, was pretty difficult.

"Okay, fine," Emma said with a disappointed sigh. "Well, in case you've forgotten, homecoming is in two weeks."

I rolled my eyes. "Not exactly a change in subject."

"Oh, are you wanting a certain someone to ask you?" she pried, smirking.

I fought the blush that threatened to spread across my cheeks. "Maybe."

She scoffed. "Come on, there's no 'maybe' about it. I know you're practically dying for him to ask you."

"Well, what about you and Jaden?" I asked with a sly smile.

Her eyes widened, and she nervously cleared her throat. "What about him?" Her eyes looked everywhere but me.

I laughed, shaking my head. "Sorry, it just seemed like you were talking about yourself for a minute there."

"I don't know what you're talking about."

"Come on, Em. Admit it - you're freaking out because he hasn't asked you yet."

Finally, she relented. "Okay, yes, I want him to ask me! Of course I do. But there's only two weeks until homecoming and he hasn't mentioned it once. I don't know what to think."

I put my arm around her shoulder. "Hey, hey, calm down. There's still two weeks. Trust me, he'll ask you. He's probably just nervous you'll say no."