Chapter 24

Three days went by.

I still didn't know what to do.

I'd always wanted to go to a performing arts high school to study dance, and living in New York had always been one of my dreams. But I didn't know if it was worth it if it meant leaving behind all my family and friends.

And Cole.

We hadn't known each other that long, but he already meant so much to me. I knew he wanted me to follow my dreams, even if it meant leaving him, but I didn't know if I could. We'd spent nearly every day together since the first day of school. To go from that to seeing each other once every three months? I didn't know if I could take that.

I was laying on my bed thinking about all of this when the door opened and Emma came in. She closed the door behind her and flopped down on the bed next to me, not bothering with a greeting.

"What are you thinking?" she asked as we stared at the ceiling.

"I don't know." I sighed. "I just wish someone would tell me what to do. I can't make a decision like this on my own."

"You're not on your own. You have me, and Cole, and your parents, and Lexi and Avery. We're all here to help you. But we can't tell you what to do."

I wished they could. But I knew she was right. This was a decision I'd have to make. "I've always wanted to go to an arts school, ever since I found out they existed. And I've always wanted to live in New York."

Em looked over at me. "But?"

"But I'd be away from you. And my family. And Cole." I bit my lip. "I don't know if I can handle that."

"Of course you can. You're McKenna freaking Jacobs. You're one of the best dancers in the state, and probably in the country. You're dating a guy who's practically a celebrity. You're the best friend, daughter, and girlfriend anyone could ever ask for. You work harder than anyone I know. And one of the best schools in the country wants you to join. You can do anything you put your mind to. Two hundred miles is nothing."

I smiled at her. "I love you, you know that, right?"

"I know." She smiled. "Look, I can't tell you what to do, but I can tell you that no matter what you decide, I'll be here. I'll support you no matter what."

Her words reminded me of what Cole had said the day of the show. No matter what happens, we'll be okay. A wave of sadness washed over me. I had the most amazing friends in the world. How could I leave them behind?

But how could I pass up the opportunity to live out my dream?

~     ~     ~

I took a deep breath as I walked into the studio and started warming up. I'd never been in a dance studio this big; it was the size of Red Land's studio multiplied by five.

After I finished stretching, I quickly ran through my solo, making sure I wouldn't forget anything. I didn't usually forget my own choreography, but I hadn't ever performed this dance before. Add in the fact that the three people watching would determine my entire future, and it was safe to say I was pretty nervous.

Cole had made me promise to audition. "Just because you audition doesn't mean you have to go. But you have to at least try."

I still wasn't sure if I would go to LaGuardia or not, or if I was even good enough to get in; but like Cole kept saying, "You'll never know unless you try."

Just then Maria came into the studio, followed by two others: a young blonde woman who looked to be in her early thirties, and an older man with graying hair.

They greeted me and asked me some questions about my dance experience, as well as how I did in school. When they were done, they cued the music, and I took my place in the center of the studio.

When the music ended, I held my pose for several seconds before taking a few steps towards the table where they were sitting.

They didn't say anything except, "Thank you. We'll be in touch," but Maria's smile told me everything I needed to know.

As I walked out of the studio, I should've been happy. But it felt like a weight had just been dropped onto my shoulders.

My decision had just gotten a whole lot harder.