Chapter 12

The next day, I woke up still unsure if the night before had been a dream. I mean, seriously, how else would I get asked to homecoming by Cole Wagner? Not to mention the fact that we basically confessed our feelings for each other.

I yawned and sat up in bed, reaching over to my nightstand to unplug my phone. I turned it on and checked my notifications: I had eight new texts, all from the group chat with Emma, Lexi, and Avery.

They were, of course, all about homecoming: Emma, Lexi, and I were going shopping for our dresses that day, and Avery was giving some excuse as to why she couldn't come with us. It wasn't that she didn't want to spend time with us, but I knew she hated going shopping with Emma and Lexi - especially together. I didn't blame her; it can be pretty overwhelming.

I responded to the group chat and got out of bed to start getting ready. It was already half past ten, and we'd agreed on meeting at the mall around noon.

After taking a quick shower, I looked through my closet for what seemed like forever, trying to find something to wear. Eventually, I settled on a blue and white baseball shirt and black leggings. Then I put my hair in a messy bun and slipped into my favorite white Converse, deciding to skip the makeup routine.

An hour and a half later, my mom dropped me off at the mall entrance, where Emma and Lexi were waiting excitedly for me.

"Hey, Kenna," Emma said as they both hugged me at the same time.

"Hey guys," I replied when they let go. We went inside the mall and I followed them into the first store. They were much more into fashion than I was, so shopping was more like a mission than a hobby for them.

"Oh my gosh, Kenna, you would look so cute in this!" Lexi exclaimed while holding up a short, strapless black dress. And when I say 'short,' I mean short.

I raised my eyebrows as I held it up in front of me. "Are you sure this is a dress?"

Lexi scoffed. "Come on, Kenna. Don't be so picky. I think you'd look amazing in it."

I shook my head as I put it back on the rack. "Sorry, Lex, but I'd rather wear something that I can bend down in and not flash everyone."

She sighed and went back to work, looking through what seemed like hundreds of dresses.

Twenty minutes later, Emma had found her dress: a cute strapless red dress, which Lexi had picked out for her.  

We decided to take a break for lunch, and headed down to the food court

We decided to take a break for lunch, and headed down to the food court. After we got our food, we sat down at a table and started eating.

"So, Em," I said in between bites of pizza. "Has Jaden asked you yet?"

She avoided my eyes and stared down at the table. "Asked me what?"

I rolled my eyes. "To homecoming."

She sighed, running a hand through her hair. "No. And I'm trying not to worry about it, but it's only two weeks away."

"Don't worry about it. If he doesn't ask you soon, you can always ask him," I said with a shrug.