Chapter 13

A/N: if you want to see what their dresses look like, go to chapter 12 :)

also, just a reminder - they're fifteen in this story, and in tenth grade.

------------------------

[McKenna]

It was Saturday, October tenth - otherwise known as the night of the homecoming dance. Emma, Lexi, and I were all gathered at my house to get ready.

"I love rock n' roll, so put another dime in the jukebox baby," we sang as we did our hair and makeup. Well, actually Emma was doing my hair and makeup, because I literally knew nothing about that kind of stuff.

She twisted my long hair into an updo and pinned it into place, then pulled out some pieces in the front to make it look messier. After spraying some hairspray onto it, she did my makeup, keeping it pretty light and natural.

 After spraying some hairspray onto it, she did my makeup, keeping it pretty light and natural

Once she was satisfied with how I looked, she turned me so I was facing the mirror. "Woah," I said when I saw my reflection, my eyes widening.

Lexi's jaw dropped when she looked over from where she was curling her hair. "Oh my god, Kenna, you look gorgeous!"

Emma nodded in agreement, grinning from ear to ear. "You're finally turning into a girl," she joked, smirking at me.

I rolled my eyes, but couldn't keep the smile off my face. I thanked Em and flopped back on my bed, checking Instagram on my phone while I waited for Emma and Lexi to finish getting ready.

Forty minutes and two One Direction albums later we were finally ready. Now we just had to wait for our dates to get there. (Cole said they were going to hang out at his house before the dance, so they were only a block away.)

Soon we heard the doorbell ring, and followed by the sound of my parents greeting the boys as they came in. Emma and Lexi went down the stairs first, and I was about to follow behind them when I realized I forgot to put on my shoes. I went back into my room and grabbed the heels Em had picked out for me and slipped them on before walking over to the stairwell. I took a deep breath and silently prayed that I wouldn't fall in my heels as I started walking down the stairs.

Cole's POV

I was standing at the bottom of the stairwell talking to Jaden when I heard McKenna's footsteps coming down the stairs. My head snapped toward her, and as soon as I saw her, my eyes widened, and my whole body felt frozen in place.

Honestly, she looked like an angel. I was speechless, just completely in awe of how someone could be so beautiful.

She smiled shyly at me as she came down the stairs, meeting me at the bottom. I gulped, suddenly getting nervous. "Uh...y-you, um, you look...nice," I stammered. As soon as the words came out of my mouth I mentally slapped myself. Did I really just tell her she looks nice? Wow. I think I just reached a whole new level of stupidity.