[14] soulmate tattoo au (pt. 4)

You entered your fourth dress shop of the day with a faint sigh escaping your lips. Today was the day of the investor party and you still didn't have a dress. All of them either didn't fit you or were way out of your price range. This was the last shop you could visit before you really had to go to the venue.

Immediately when you walked in, your eyes spotted a sale rack, so you made a beeline for it. After all, you'd probably only wear this dress once in your life, no need to spend hundreds of dollars on it. Your fingers skimmed the rack, taking hangers off but quickly putting them back at the gaudy designs. A deep scarlet dress caught your eye, and you admired the silken material of it.

"Hm," you thought about what Mr. Nestor told you yesterday. "Might as well."

In the fitting room, the dress easily reached past your ankles, and flowed loosely around your form, complimenting every part of you. The neckline left room for a necklace of some kind to be draped on your chest, and you figured that your black heels would give you enough height to not trip over the trail. Thankfully, you could zip it up yourself, and decided to purchase it. You could afford the dress, but couldn't afford to spend anymore time looking for a different one.

At your apartment, you were quickly trying to throw on makeup whilst doing your hair when your phone started ringing. Picking it up to one ear, you tried sticking an earring in the other ear.

"Sadie? What do you need?" You picked up the call from your middle sister. For some reason, your parents had bought their 11-year-old an iPhone.

"You haven't visited in a while, Y/N." You could just about hear the pout in her voice as she spoke.

"I know, I've been busy with work."

"Can you come tonight? We haven't done a movie night in forever!"

"Yeah!" Your youngest sister, Lily, yelled. Sadie must have put you on speakerphone in the middle of their playtime.

"I can't tonight, I'm going to a work party. But definitely Saturday night, okay?"

"I'm having a sleepover with Fiona on Saturday." Lily referenced her soulmate, excitement building in her voice.

"Of course. Look, girls, I really need to go. I'll call you tomorrow, okay?"

"Okay. Love you."

You made smooching noises into the phone, making her giggle. "Love you, baby bears."

"I'm not a baby anymore." Sadie was pouting again at the nickname you gave her when she was an infant.

"Me neither! I'm seven now!" Lily argued as well.

"Love you both, goodnight." You smiled at their resistance. They were growing up too fast for your liking.

"Goodnight!" They said in unison.

Hanging up, you tossed your phone into your handbag and slipped on your heels. With one final look in the mirror, you were suddenly filled with an indescribable confidence and love for yourself you'd never felt. To hell with soulmates, you were going to love yourself and have some goddamn fun tonight. No room for self-pity.

You took a cab there, knowing that parking would be hell at the hotel the party was being held at. After paying and thanking the driver with a parakeet tattoo on his forearm, you climbed out, sucking in a deep breath to bring back your confidence. You flashed a smile at the man checking invitations, showing your company ID badge.

"Sorry miss, we need a hard copy invite." He apologized.

"Nobody got hard copy invites, this party was organized yesterday." You felt your blood starting to boil, you put together nearly this entire damn party and now you weren't being let in.