[9] she's my uptown girl (pt. 4)

Within the next few hours, you slowly became relaxed around Ethan's friends. They were great, funny people that you were so happy to have finally met. Eventually the night came to an end, everyone saying goodbye in the driveway. You exchanged numbers with Amy, promising to meet up for girls-only coffee one day.

Back at your house, Ethan walked you up to your door, neither of you wanting to say goodbye yet. "Did you have fun tonight, Y/N?"

"Yes, thank you for inviting me." You squeezed his hand, taking a step closer to him.

"You're welcome." He wrapped his arms around you, resting his chin on your shoulder.

You relished in the warmth flowing between your bodies, breathing in his comforting scent. "Parents are still out of town, we can use the theater room."

"Okay."

Opening the door, you pulled Ethan in behind you. Strangely, the lights were off. "Eddie? Jasmine?" You called out for your chauffeur first, then the maid that had supported you two from the beginning, turning a blind eye when Ethan snuck in.

You frowned, shrugging at Ethan as you wandered further into the house. As you two were walking past your dad's office, you realized that the light was on there. "That's weird." You gently pushed the door open to see your dad sitting at his desk and your mother standing beside him.

Before you could warn Ethan, he had followed you in, and stopped abruptly. "Close the door, Mr. Nestor." Your dad ordered, looking at the two of you over his glasses, a piece of paper in his hands.

"You two weren't supposed to be home for another week." You stared at them in shock.

"We were able to finish all of our work up early to come home and surprise our daughter." He explained irritably. "But instead we return to find you missing and our own staff trying to lie to us! If Eddie hadn't explained we would have called the police! Y/N, we were so worried!"

"I'm sorry for making you worry, Dad." You apologized as your mom came over to inspect you.

"Thank god you're not hurt, but what on Earth are you wearing? And it looks like you've gained weight, Y/N-"

"Excuse me!" Ethan cut her off as you felt tears gathering in your eyes at her words. "Mrs. Y/L/N-"

"Probably from whatever this Howard boy has feeding you." Your mom's icy focus turned to Ethan at his outburst. "His hair, and look at his clothes, that acne! Y/N, how could you-"

"Shut up, mom!" The tears in yours turned hot and stung your eyes as anger boiled through your whole being. "You don't know anything! About me, Ethan, or anything!"

"We had a background check done." Your father held up the paper in his hand, that must have been how he knew Ethan's name. "So I believe we know more than you. Did you know his dad was arrested for shoplifting?"

"Mr. Y/L/N, that was nearly 20 years ago, and he did it because his wife was pregnant and needed some food." Ethan explained quietly, drawing everyone's attention to him. "They were going through rough times then. But I assure you sir, my family is back on their feet and we are not criminals."

"Honey, we're trying to do what's best for you." Your mother assured you, but you shook your head.

"What else do you think you know, hm?" You put your hands on your hips. "Do you know that Ethan is three-time regional champion of Men's Gymnastics for his floor and beam routines? Did you know that his grandmother makes the best spaghetti ever? Did you know that I love this boy with all my heart and nothing you say or do will change that?"

The room went silent at your sudden confession. You even surprised yourself, shyly looking over at Ethan. Your mother looked at you in near disbelief. "You're just a child, honey."

"Dear, leave her alone." Your dad stopped her with a hand on her arm.

"Do you mean it, Y/N?" Ethan whispered, reaching out for your hand. You could only nod, and he pulled you into a tight hug. You nearly sobbed with relief as he held you close, still whispering in your ear. "I love you too. I love you, Y/N."

"Thank you, Mr. Nestor." Your dad's stoic voice reached your ears, and you looked to see him standing up from his desk.

"For what, sir?" He asked in confusion as your dad shook his hand.

"Showing my daughter love when we couldn't."

With a sigh, your mother joined you as well, hugging you. "I'm sorry Y/N."

"You were trying your best, Mom. I forgive you." You finally let the tears spill over onto your face, and found three different hands go to try to wipe them off for you.

With a laugh, Ethan, your mom, and your dad each pulled their hands back, and you wiped it off with your own sleeve.

"But no more trespassing on my property to sneak into my daughter's room at night, young man." Your dad declared firmly, obviously having gotten some information out of Jasmine.

"Now you can just ring the doorbell." You suggested, wrapping an arm around Ethan's waist.

"Not after 8pm on a school night. In fact, not at night at all. Ever."

"Dad." You rolled your eyes, and to your surprise your mother came to your defense.

"Like you never visited my window late at night either." She teased him, and you laughed at his indignation.

You liked this, acceptance and the end of lies with your parents. For now, after all, you were a rebellious teenager in love.