Chapter 1: Favours

"Nothing would be the same if you didn't exist."

"Jonah, it's not fair, Noah lets Mason have as many girl friends as he wants" I growled lightly and my nineteen year old skyscraper of a brother ruffled my hair oddly. "It's different for Mason. How many times to I have to tell you Leah? I'm just trying to keep you safe like dad would've done" he justified, bringing up my dead parents to guilt trip me but I had learnt this speech off by heart by now.

"I don't think you understand Jonah, three weeks ago, I turned sixteen and the only person who wished me happy birthday was Mason and a couple of kids in between lessons, when Mason turned 17 the entire school was throwing him birthday wishes" I said, trying my hardest not to loose my temper. Mason scoffed from where he was sitting, amused on the sofa with his legs up and I glared at him. "That's because people love me Leah. What's there not to love?" He asked pointing at himself and I pretend studied him. He wasn't half bad. He had an average face like every other human being ever. Olive skin, brown eyes and brown hair. Nothing drop dead gorgeous about him.

"I just want a fairytale life, is that too much to ask?" I grumbled and Jonah snorted in his chair with his head tilted back. "Are you back on this cliché bullshit again?" He asked and I glared him down. "You wouldn't understand" I snapped and he took a bite from his toast, eyeing the clock. "Yeah yeah, you're right, now get going. Look at the time" Jonah motioned to the clock to his right and I glanced at it.

"I hate my life" I whispered loud enough and Mason jumped of the sofa, doing this bro nod head shake thing with Jonah before leaving the house with me.

"You wanna take the bus?" Mason asked and I shot him a glare before thinking it over. Maybe I'd meet someone on the bus and we'd start talking and he'd have the wow factor and we'd fall in love and-. The engine of Masons black Aston Martin db9 cut off my thoughts. Stupid asshole had to turn 17 and learn to drive.

"Yeah," I sighed, "I'll take the bus" I decided and he laughed. "I was joking Anderson, get in the car" he said easily but I shook my head and carried on walking. I was the loner girl and it was bad enough that Mason had to talk to me in school, gaining him odd stares but driving me daily? It was on a whole different level. It would be best if I took the bus.

"Leah, get in the car," he ordered again and I shook my head more violently. "I forget how truly annoying you can be sometimes" he admitted and I smiled at him over my shoulder as he began driving away.

He knew I avoided him in school, he didn't know for sure why but he knew I did. He had a girlfriend who was basically number one on everyone's hate list but still, no one bothered to do anything about it. I hated her. She hated me. Neither of us acted upon this hate. It was just a mutual feeling.

She was a blondie. I was a brunette. She was popular. I was not. She swooned over my only friend. I did not have a problem with that. She was 100% sure I had a problem with that. I disliked her. She disliked me. As you can see, there was a pattern going on here.

I boarded the bus and looked around at the other sweaty teens and nerds who had chosen the same transport method as me and I groaned as I sat down. No Prince Charming today.

The journey was long and slow and I evidently had a lot of time to think. I'd had enough of Jonah and his restrictions, what he didn't know wouldn't hurt him. If mum and dad were alive, they'd let me talk to guys, they'd let me have a boyfriend. If they didn't suffer that brutal car accident, I would be living an average teenage girly life, worrying about the colour of my nails and not the colour of my cheeks every time someone admitted to have forgotten I attended the same school as them.

Once we were all dropped off at the final destination, hell, I peered around, trying to find Mason but all I could see were posters, flying around everywhere, pink wth bold titles. One flew into my face and I grabbed hold of it. Oh yeah. How could I forget? It was the autumn dance. My school had the weird tradition to throw a dance each term to lighten up moods but it was a real flop every year. The autumn one was the best, I had to admit because of the halloweeny vibe going around and the need for everyone to hide themselves behind fake identities.