Chapter 13: Dad?

Rachel's POV

- Yes, it's me Rachel.

His eyes grew wide.

- Rachel! Baby, it's you! It's been so long I didn't see you! Look how tall you got!

Is this man on drugs or something? Why is he talking to me like that?

- Well, uh, mister... Davis, you are suppose to show me my room and roommate.

- Yes, this way, Rachel Owens.

He was walking a little too fast but I was able to catch up on him. He showed me my room and to my surprise, it wasn't that small. I told him thank you and before he left, he stared at me for a long while and mumbled something underneath his breath.

Everything's weird right now. Since there was nothing else to do, I decided to go take a nap and clear my thoughts out. I had two dreams.

"Me and Craig were walking by the beach. Our hands were interlocked and we were talking, laughing and having a good time. All of a sudden, Craig stopped and looked at me very seriously.

- What's wrong, Craig? I said with concern.

He took a deep breath and said:

- I know this might sound weird but Rachel... Rachel, I want to be more than just friends if you know what I mean.

We always used to hang out together considering that we were best friends since kindergarten. But really close best friends... If you know what I mean. Craig and I were both rejects when we came in high school. That's how we got to know each other and our friendship just grew from there. 

- Uh, Craig? What are you talking about...?

I knew exactly what he meant. I just couldn't believe it. He took both of my hands.

- Rachel, will you be my girl? I promise you won't regret it.

A large smile formed on my face. I've been waiting for this moment in a lifetime. 

- YES! A million times, yes!

We hugged and kissed until I pulled away. I couldn't stop smiling. It was the best day of my life..."

I silently groaned at myself now that I'm awake and that I know it was a dream. Craig would have never done and told me that. He hates me. He fucking hates me. I'm too shy to even come out of my room and go to the "chilling spot". That's the name they gave to name the living room. Don't ask me, I don't know either. That's where all the homeless people, for all ages, go to chill, talk and yada yada yada. I'm scared that they'll judge me or reject me. Anyhow, I still feel a little tired. I went back to sleep.

"- Nice dream you had back there.

- Mom! You came back!

- I never left.

- I mean, you came back in my dreams.

- You think this is a dream?

- I guess so.

- Don't you fine it's too real for it to be a dream?

- Well... maybe.

- I'll let you think on that. Since you are in this shelter, it's time for you to know the truth.

- The truth about what?

I could almost feel her energy within me.

- Joe Brown is... not your father.

Hey that sounds like Maury.

- That's a relief! He doesn't treat me like his daughter anyways.

- Rachel, this is serious. Joe Brown is my step-brother. My name is Daniella Diaz Gonzalez and my step-father's name is Edward Brown. Joe Brown is his son, Rachel. I... I didn't want to marry hi-

- YOU MARRIED HIM?!

- Yes, Rachel. I didn't want to, though! They forced me.

- They? Who they?

- My real husband and Christopher Brown.

- The famous nigga?

- No, no. Same name but not the same person. They threatened your life, Rachel. You were so tiny, wide eyes baby. Nobody could resist your face. I decided to be apart of the game, knowing that your life was at risk.

- Why would my real dad do that to you mom?

- Davis didn't want to but he had no choice. He was forced. He wanted to protect you, our baby. They told me that this would be over in a month but it never actually stopped. Joe became angry and abusive with me. The worst part is that your innocent self had to go through all of this. I'm so sorry, Rachel! I really am sorry!

- Don't be. It wasn't your fault. There is something I do not understand in all this. How'd you die?

- Someone shot me.

- Who?

- I do not know.

- What was this "game" all about?

- They never told me the point of this useless game, Rachel! It's not even a game! Look what it did to me, it killed me! All of this for some money, I am sure of it!

- Don't worry, momma. I'll figure out who did this to you.

- Start by asking your real father, Davis Owens."

Before I said anything, my mom had left. 

_____________________________________

What do you think REALLY happened to the mother???