Chapter Ten: The Next Encounter...

Hey guys, here's the next chapter which has been updated three-times! Don't forget to drop a comment, vote or even follow :) thanks for reading everyone! :)

Chapter Ten: The Next Encounter...

I sat on one of the quintessential, uncomfortable plastic blue chairs that the hospital provided next to where my father lay, snoring. A foggy midnight had been and gone and a worn Aaron, who sat next to me still clenching one of my hands was sound asleep whilst I sat restless - unable to sleep from the impact of reigning sorrow. But rest didn't matter, and it was the utmost last thing on my mind.
I didn't feel mentally or physically tired. Perhaps I was encountering the early stages of insomnia, or perhaps I was just in a certain state that I couldn't unravel myself from.
Realising there was nothing to do, no moving, no speaking, I scooped my iPhone from my pocket and started to do some researching. Luckily, I managed to attach myself to the hospital network.
As I typed in 'Letarchamonia' many different web pages showed up on Google. Some Wikipedia pages, some research projects showing in PDF's.
Finally, I found a webpage that helped me understand a little more about the condition. The page had a small logo embedded on the top left corner reading 'Health Improvement Programme' which I guessed was the company, or the programme. I started to read:
'Letarchamonia, a rare condition can originate in my ways. Many cases are uncovered when a certain person damages a vital brain cell called the 'vigorous' cell. The person suffering with Letarchamonia can often develop further symptoms and therefore needs further support. These many symptoms include visual impairments, twitching and/or immediate confusion and distress. Living with a person suffering from Letarchamonia can be extremely difficult and it is important that the people who want to understand more about this rare condition call our helpline at 555 6493 442'.
I'd never even considered seeking help before, but when my father was in this state I couldn't think twice, could I? Firstly, it would help me come to terms with this and understand it more, and secondly, I'd have something with which to occupy my time.
I loosened Aaron's hand from mine, softly enough that he wouldn't wake, and watched my father sleep for a moment. "I'll be right back..." I whispered smoothly even though it wasn't audible to any of them, scooting away from the bed, hurrying out into the open and closing the curtain behind me.
The world seemed to spin around me slightly - perhaps it was an attribute of insomnia or my worry, I don't know. I passed nurses, porters wheeling patients around the ward and locums that were just being taught the basics of confidentiality. There were mix ups, no doubt with personal details. They'd probably revealed something to another patient that they weren't supposed to. It wasn't the first time I'd heard of it.
I rushed out of the ward and down an endless vacuum of hollow corridors until I reached the elevator and went down a floor, seeing several shops dotted around me. One of them was a cafe. I was still in the hospital of course, just a different part of it.
As I dashed through the automatic doors I hurried over to a pay phone I could see on the wall. I couldn't get any service in the hospital. I automatically knew I'd need to use a pay phone, it was my one and only option.
I quickly opened the webpage up again and typed the number into the brick-like-phone sitting in the grey, metal box attached firmly to the cream-coloured wall.
I was about to ring when I realised I hadn't slotted any money in. I dug deep into my pocket and... Crap!
How could I forget? I didn't have a penny.
It was all in the hotel room in LA. Even though it was a silly move, it was vital I came straight away anyway. My father needed me, not my luggage.
Sighing, I dragged myself away from the pay phone and considered ways I could make money. Perhaps busk? Without a guitar? I don't think so.
Beg? That won't exactly do my father any favours.
I was lost in a world of my own and didn't even realise that I'd bumped into a man. He was compact and dainty with locks of strawberry blonde hair, wearing a bowling t-shirt.
Flump!
As I whacked into him, he retorted and I gasped, loudly. "I'm so sorry!" I exclaimed, attempting to cover my tracks. I looked down to the floor where his coffee had spilt from the tray he was carrying. I knelt down, picked up the tray and handed it out to him. "W-would you like a new coffee?" Great, how would I buy him a coffee without any money?
He chuckled, "Honestly, it's fine. I can see that your busy so I'll just be on my way-" he continued talking but I couldn't concentrate. I was so intently focused on the logo imprinted on his t-shirt. It wasn't a bowling shirt - but had three distinctive letters circling it: HIP. Then I came to my sudden realisation.
No way, it couldn't be...
Health Improvement Programme: HIP. Could he be from the company?
"Are you-" I started, completely interrupting him, unable to disguise my intrigue, "Are you from the Health Improvement Programme?"
He paused for a moment and I wondered if I'd made an embarrassing mistake, but then he nodded, his hazel eyes full of welcome and delight, as if the company was so unknown that it was literally invisible. "I am, were you looking for some advice?"
"I was just about to phone - my father has had an accident and he is suffering from Letarchamonia. I just don't know what to do about it. I need someone who can talk to me about it and sort of help me understand the condition. This may sound crazy because I know I've only just met you, but... Is there any chance we could sit down and discuss it?"
He squinted his eyes and pressed his sockets close together, as if in regret. "I'd honestly be happy to discuss this with you but... I came to St. Jude's especially for a health conference. I've travelled half way around the country - all the way from Arizona. Would we be able to discuss this over the phone when I get back?"
I looked down at the ground, scuffing my feet against the already dirty floor. "I guess that would be okay..." I looked up at him, trying to give a look that would transfer my emotions towards him so he knew just how I was coping.
Persuasion was my best friend - I'd been condemned with that quality from birth.
Suddenly, he looked lost for words. His mouth started to twitch without his consent and he then bit his colourless lip, tightly. "How about we discuss this once the conference has finished. You give me the place and time and I'll come and meet you. Sound good?"
I nodded, gratefully. It must have shown because he smiled, "Here's my number," and he gave me a business card containing his phone number, "Ring me and give me the details. I'll see you once we've agreed on a time and place."
The corners or his mouth twitched upwards and he stared at his watch. "I'd better get back to the conference, see you later..."
"Lola," I filled in.
"Right, see you later Lola." He smiled before turning and leaving, reminding me exactly of what I'd done to Larry and sent another emotion rushing through me: guilt.
Looking back now, I remember everything that consumed me over that period of time. I wasn't sure so many human emotions existed, and I certainly wasn't oblivious to how it felt to be lonely, lost, broken and confused.