I laughed.  “No you can’t.  Sorry Kyle.”

                Kyle and I had almost become friends in the last few days.  Whenever we talked, I actually didn’t want to murder him.  In fact, if we had met differently, I might have even given him my number just then.  (Well, minus the cheesy pickup line.)

                He suddenly had a strange look on his face, like he smelled three month old sour milk.  “Right, well I have to go check something.  And do me a favor and only talk to people you trust.”  He walked away and so I just shrugged that off and went back to my friends to dance.  About an hour later I was going crazy.

                Katie came over and grabbed my arm.  “Are you drunk?  Cause you sure are acting like it.”

                I shook my head and pulled my arm away.  “I haven’t had any beer.  Maybe someone just spiked the punch.  I’m good.  I just won’t drink anymore.  I’ll stick with water.”

                She studied my face.  “Fine.  But no more alcohol!”

                I laughed.  “Got it, mom.”

                I started dancing back to the middle of the dance floor when I bumped into someone.  “Kyle, hey again.  What’s up?  You having fun?”

                He frowned.  “Come with me.”  He grabbed my arm and started pulling me to a closet by the door.

                “No!  I want to dance!  Come dance with me, Kyle!”  I tried grabbing his arm and pulling at it, but was unsuccessful.

                “Lainey, calm down.”

                He opened the closet door and pulled me inside.  “Lainey, how much did you drink?”

                “Nothing!  Well maybe a little.  Maybe someone spiked the punch.  Not sure.”

                “Sure.  Lainey, stay in here for a few minutes until I come to get you.  You’re so drunk that if you go out there, you might do something a little crazy.”

                I giggled again.  “Like what?  Sleep with my best friend’s boyfriend?  Well guess what.  Been there, done that.”

                “Well I was thinking you might strip off your dress and go skinny dipping with some other drunks.”

                I pouted.  “Kyle, you’re no fun!  You need to loosen up, have some fun!  I don’t like you when you’re like this.”

                He chuckled darkly, which kind of scared me.  “You don’t like me when I’m not like this.”

                I stood up straighter, which was very hard to do in my condition.  “Yeah I do.  Come dance with me!”

                I opened the door and tried exiting the small space when Kyle grabbed my waist so I couldn’t go anywhere and shut the door with his foot.  He turned me to face him and I realized for the first time how close we were in that small space.  We were touching everywhere.  And I felt that shock from the other day in my arm again when he touched my hand.

                “No.  Lainey, I’m not letting you go anywhere until you sober up a bit.”

                “And why not?”