Hide your face

Reveal your face

In which Tyler lives in a town where everyone wears a mask. Tyler has never seen a human face – not even his own.

"Hello mum," Tyler greeted the masked woman. "Oh hello Tyler. How was school?" The boy sighed. School was boring. He couldn't recognize his friend or teachers. He couldn't recognize anything – they all wore masks.

He was eighteen and didn't know what a human face looked like. He didn't even know what he himself looked like. It was forbidden to see anyone's face, not even your own. You could buy a mirror but you were forbidden to look in it without a mask.

If you looked outside, you'd see a beautiful city. It was truly stunning. But there was no emotion. No happy people – well, there were, but you couldn't tell. Hundreds, thousands of people with the same mask: a smiling mask with the eyes and mouth cut out, but covered by dark fabric. They sold it in all colours but that didn't make it any better in Tyler's opinion.

But no matter how much he wanted to see a human face – he wasn't a criminal. Late it night in dark alleyways people paid money to see others faces, and dealers sold pictures. It was in the law : "you shall not show your face to anyone of human kind, not even yourself." And Tyler being the goody two shoes he was never violated the law.

He sometimes tried to sketch a human face based of the information he had but he always ended up ripping it in half and throwing away.

Ethan travelled from town to town. He was in love with the freedom and the opportunities traveling came with. As a child from rich parents he could travel the whole world at seventeen and not have a worry in the world.

"Son. We know it was always your dream to travel the whole world, and we do not want to deprive you from your wish. Instead, we want you to know we fully support you in your decision." Ethan almost teared up. "Thank you!" he had cheered, hugging his parents tight.

He smiled at the memory. "Thank you," he thanked the kind driver that was friendly enough to drop him of by the next town. "No problem! Good luck young man!" the driver smiled. Ethan waved when the car took off. He finally took in his surroundings – a green forest with tall trees, a few rocks, and a big, blue, sparkly lake. Birds were chirping, colourful butterflies flew around. He smiled, happy with his new destination. He took of his shoes and shirt and embraced the warm water hugging his feet. He sat down on a rock, letting himself lay on his back with his hands behind his head and his eyes closed.

Tyler didn't feel like going home as soon as he got home. It was Friday and he didn't feel like dealing with the bullshit that was society. He didn't even know what his parents looked like! Sometimes he just had those moods. He quietly dropped off his back at home but before his parents noticed he grabbed his sketch book and escaped.

After not even ten minutes of walking he reached the border of his town. A forest with as he knew, a big blue lake in the middle of it. He smiled at the thought of being able to swim in it again.

As he arrived it was the same as he remembered. Tall trees, animals, flowers...But there was one difference. On his favourite rock laid a man. Or maybe a boy, he didn't know how to guess ages obviously. He had blue hair, and a very attractive face. A face! He didn't wear a mask, and even though it was against the law he didn't feel like wending off his eyes. He was too beautiful.

He quietly walked towards the stranger. Unfortunately, the boy had his eyes closed and breathed softly through his mouth, making Tyler assume he was asleep. He picked up his sketch book and started sketching him. He was afraid he would never capture the stranger's beauty, however, he wanted to try.