The Beginning of the End

As far back as I can remember, I didn't have any memories of my mother, even though she had left when I was 5 and Lincoln was 11. I remember my father in the beginning, treating us as best as he could while still trying to provide for us. He always seemed to hold a certain resentment towards me though, and this became evident when I turned 7.

*Jasmine, age 7*

"Daddy! Look what I found!" I yelled, trying to show my father the knife I had found buried in the backyard.

He came running, thinking I was in trouble or something. He saw the smile on my young face and then saw the knife and instantly became angry.

"What the fuck are you doing with that!" He screamed at me.

"I-I found it digging, daddy. Isn't it cool?" All I was looking for was his approval. I knew he wished I would have been a boy like Linc.

"No it isn't 'cool'" He grabbed the knife from me and in the process it cut my palm and I cried out. "See what your stupidity has done!"

He proceeded to yank my hair as hard as he could, dragging me back into the house. "Goddammit you stupid bitch." He was screaming and all I heard was a dull roar. My hand hurt so bad, why was daddy yelling at me.

I looked up at him through my tears and whimpered again. He heard me and slapped me hard across the face. Where is Linc at? I need him here! He always protects me.

"This is all your fault! Your the reason everything is broken! You ruined my marriage!" He screamed as he continued to hit me.

I eventually passed out, left alone on the kitchen floor.

That was the first time my father ever really hit me. I still to this day do not know what I did.

I shook my head, breaking out of my thoughts to the current situation at hand.

"Hello, Jas are you there?" my brother, Lincoln, called through the phone.

"Yeah, yeah sorry Linc." I apologized, trying to shake the thoughts out of my head that still burdened me.

"You've got to get packed, I'm coming to get you"

"What about the twins! They're at school"

"I'll get them on the way, just pack essentials! Make sure to get cans and winter clothes too. Sis, I'm counting on you" and with that he hung up.

He never even told me what was going on outside, just to not go out there. I really hope the twins are okay.

I dropped my phone down onto the couch and jumped up, running to my room to grab a duffel. I threw many different changes of clothes, shampoo, body wash, razors, anything I thought I might need into it. I made sure to do like he said and grabbed another bag to fill with jackets and long pants and shirts. I threw my boots in there as well and then started on the kids clothes. I put their winter clothes into the same bag as mine, as well as a pair each of their hiking boots. I had no idea what was in store, but I would be prepared. I then got together a lot of clothes for each of them and made sure to grab Ashlyn's teddy bear. She wouldn't sleep without it.

I threw the bags down the stairs, grabbing blankets and several pillows to stuff into the truck and tossing them down as well. I went to my bed and looked underneath of it, pulling out a dusty case. I sat it on my bed and opened it, once again marveling at the contents, as I always do.

Inside sat my grandfathers bow, a beautifully hand carved wooden masterpiece. Next to it was his revolver, a colt anaconda .44 magnum.

I pulled a second box out from underneath the bed, inside holding the ammo to the revolver and a second gun and arrows for the bow. I picked them both up, and also remembered to grab the .20 gauge shotgun from the corner beside my bed.

I ran down the stairs, stacking the bags and boxes next to the door with the blankets and pillows on top. I grabbed a final bag, gathering all the cans of food into it and the two cases of water I had. I was insanely grateful for the fact that I liked to have a big stockpile of canned goods for when the power goes out.

I finally heard the sound of my diesel truck coming to life. My brother had finally gotten here. The door was flung open and Brady was in my arms.

"Its so scary outside Jas, people are eating people!" He cried, unable to keep the tears back.

"Shh darlin' everything will be okay. Linc wont let anything happen to us." I replied, trying to sooth him.

He wiped his nose with his sleeve, determined to act like a grown up. I smiled down at him as Lincoln appeared at the door, holding Ashlyn.

"Lets go"