Let the Battle Commence

The Drake roared again and dive towards the battlefield. By now, all dragons had seen the Drake and were flying to the other side of the canyon. I swerved through the flock of dragons, careful not to collide with anyone and fall. Did everyone forget about the plan? If I said anything, would anyone listen? I looked around for the Queen or Mount. Anyone the dragons would listen to. Sapphire flew up beside me.

"Did the plan change?"

She panted. I shook my head.

"No it hasn't."

"Then where's everyone going?!"

Sapphire sound desperate. It was her turn to look around desperately. The Drake snapped its jaws as it reached for a dragon.

"If we fight it or try to follow the original plan, maybe the others will follow our lead."

The plan seemed solid so I waited to here what Sapphire thought of it.

"Yeah I guess but, where's the Queen?"

I looked at her as she watched the Drake try and burn another dragon which dived for cover.

"Probably hiding. She can't be up here till we get a handle on the situation. We can't lose the Queen."

She nodded thoughtfully.

"Ok then. Let's turn the enemy against the enemy."

I flew up towards the flock of Death Stares. Without a thought of waiting for Sapphire to catch up, I flew right through the swarm and halted above their heads. Few looked up and growled but none attacked. One left the swarm and came up to join me.

"Are you the leader of the Death Stares?"

My voice was reasonably emotionless which was a good angle to start with. Death Stares didn't care about how you felt. I read that in one of the books. He looked me up and down. I think he was shocked at how much bigger I was than most of the other elemental dragons. But he dismissed the thought with a shake of his neck and glared at me.

"I might be. What's it to you elemental dragon."

"I'm a future dragon. Do you know what they can do?"

I thought this was a good start. Death stares were quite thick and would believe what you say as long as it made some sense. And I had a plan.

"Uh yeah, I'm not stupid."

The other Death Stares snorted and others blew out steam from their scaly, black snouts.

"Well, I had a vision when I saw you. Did you know you are close to death? Closer than you think."

His eyes grew the size of dragon eggs and his jaw hung slightly open. This also hushed the others so they could here.

"W-what? When? I thought We couldn't die?!"

His panic spread through the others like wild fire. I looked down to the rest.

"Yes and you guys were there too!"

One even screamed in horror.

"But we can't die!"

One shouted.

"Oh yes you can! Not by old age but by another dragon. Ahh yes I know how.."

I let that sit in the air so they could absorb it.

"Who?! What?!"

They all started to roar and shout. I couldn't here anything over their racket. I thought it would attract the Drake. I looked past the Death Stares and saw the Drake deep into the canyon. Two elemental dragons were distracting it. Sapphire and Mount! U turned back to the panic stricken dragons with a new kind of confidence.