Chapter 11

The death stares blew fire on anything they could see. Patrol dragons tried to fight them off but there were just too many of them. What if Steve was right? What if Flicker's death was the start of something big?

"Get your head out of the clouds boy."

I heard Mount shout. I felt a hard shove and I was back in the cave. I hadn't even realised I had left my bed. Sapphire came up beside me an gently placed a hand on my shoulder. A flicker of goosebumps fluttered across my skin from where she had touched me.

"Everything is ok. We have dealt with worse."

Her words were calm and soothing and yet, I could still sense panic. I felt like my body was frozen. Like it was my cocoon and I was the butterfly, hastily awaiting release. I was able to nod and she ran off to help her Dad. I wanted to run after her and protect her but it couldn't.

I finally broke out of my temporary haze and sat down on their couch. Thoughts swam around in my head, forming tidal waves that would soon crash against my scull. Am I hear to help protect the elemental dragons, or destroy them? I heard a 'thump' as a dragon landed on the ledge of the cave.

I turned my head slightly towards the entrance of the cave and saw a dragon silhouetted against the vines. Just assuming it was either Mount or Sapphire, I ignored that part of my brain that was screaming for me to run.

"I don't think I can fight yet."

I told them. The reply I received was not one I was expecting. A low growl echoed throughout the cave. The growl seemed strained, as if the dragon was sick or something. A deep, croaky voice came out of nowhere and spat,

"Haha. I found the healer, the others will be happy."

I turned my head to see a solid black dragon, with gleaming red eyes standing in the entrance of the cave. Slobs of black seemed to seep off him like tar. I stood and backed away. The creature was smaller than most elemental dragons but had a slim figure for speed and agility. It got into a pounce position ready to leap at me as it bared it's fangs. My heart beat skyrocketed as panic flooded my body.

In a second, he pounced, with claws outstretched towards me. I morphed into a dragon. Just as the beast got to me. The dragon repelled off my scaly body and flung across the room. I gave out a deafening roar and blew fire at the Death Stare. It stopped my flames with its wing and returned fire.
I dodge the flames and watched as it hit the wall behind me. As my back was turned, the beast attempted to charge at me, but with a flick of my tail, the Death Stare was on the other side of the room. I turned to face the now motionless beast. As I stood above him I saw his eyes flicker open.

"This is not over healer. In the end, all elemental dragons will fall."

Then, his head fell and his eyes rolled to the back of his head. I looked behind the body and saw that a large sharp rock protruding out of the wall had impaled him. It must have punctured his spleen.
I had killed him