The 'Threat'

Oh what now?!

I looked around and saw dragons leaping from their balconies and swarming around above in the sky. They didn't seem to be attacking anything. All elemental dragons were now in flight, hovering over the canyon. What the heck?

Then, the queen glided out of her cave into the centre of the mid-air dragon circle.

Thunder boomed in the distance as I flew up to join the others. I hovered between Mount and Sapphire who both hovered silently and emotionless. Waiting.

"What's going on?"

I whispered into Mount's ear.
He didn't reply. Nothing?
Was he ignoring me? Because now was not the time. I felt the panic ripple through me.

The Queen let out a low rumbling noise which made all heads turn to her.

"We haven't faced something quite like this in eons. This fight will be harder than many we've had before. But, do not forget that this is not just for us, but the future of all dragons and mystical beasts. For if we fail, they will not stop there, they will destroy everything and everyone we've worked so hard to protect. Sacrifices will have to be made to ensure the better outcome. Plus, with a ray of new hope, we now have a healer among us."

All heads turned to me. The unwavering stares of all the dragons had me wanting to go and hide under the nearest rock. I gulped down my nausea and nodded to the Queen. That's good, just pretend you know what to do if someone gets brutally maimed.

"Now, I want air and a few fire dragons working to hold off and kill the Death Stares. The rest of fire and earth and water will help to kill the Drake. The healer, you are to fight and help any fallen dragons. We will not lose any unless absolutely necessary understood?"

I gave another deep nod. What if people die because I couldn't save them? Because I knew I couldn't but said I did anyway?

"Your majesty?"

I asked cautiously.

"Yes?"
"What exactly is a Drake?"

Most dragons around me flinched at the word, some even whimpered. I have yet another bad feeling ebbing it's way inside my gut.

"The largest of dragon species. Like Death Stares they are powerful, brutal and relentless. They only care about power and to be feared by all. They cannot transform into humans but they are much bigger than us. Stronger too. But, unlike us, they are independent and greedy, however the Death Stare got them on their team is practically impossible since they don't like being controlled..."

The Queen mumbled off in a tone as if to say; I haven't actually thought about that.

"We could try to turn them against the Death Stares.."

Mount started continued with the Queen's trail of thoughts.

"Convince them that the Death Stares will turn on them and try and take power over everything instead. Get them fighting."

Another dragon added on.

"Then while they are distracted, find out how to kill them. Someone must of wrote down how to kill them last time we were attacked."

Ideas were being thrown around in a frenzy of words and impatient growls from dragons who weren't able to get a word in.

I weaved my way through the crowd to the Queen's side. Unsure of whether or not she would listen.

"Your majesty. I believe that- I mean the way that you described the Drakes that maybe, they will be smart enough to see through our idea. I mean, what if it's the other way round and the Death Stares actually work for the Drakes? I hate to question your judgement because it's wrong but I don't think it's worth the risk."

The Queen's eyes shone down at me. She leaned down so that her snout was near my ear.

"Do not forget little one, that I didn't suggest the idea to begin with. Mount did."

I felt my eyes widen with astonishment.  Mount did suggest it. And I just blamed the Queen. I looked up at the Queen apologetically and saw her smiling back down at me.

"Enough!"

The Queen shouted. The crowds hushed almost suddenly.

"It has come to my attention.."
Her eyes wandered down to me, then back to all the dragons.

"..that the Drakes may be in control of the Death Stares. Meaning that, we should stride in the direction of convincing the Death Stares that the Drakes will turn on them."

Dragons nodded silently in agreement at the Queens statement. It was obvious that she already knew what I had told her. But how come she didn't say anything before?

We had all landed a few hours ago to discuss our strategies towards 'the threat' which is what I have mentally called it. The Queen asked Sapphire and I to read up on the Drakes and Death Stares to figure out if they had any other weaknesses apart from the need for power.

"NOTHING!"

Sapphire slammed her fist onto the rock table. I jumped a little in shock but then calmed myself. All the threats of attacks had left me full of adrenaline and fear.

"How is there nothing?"

She whispered tiredly. I looked up from my book and examined her tired face. Deep bags had formed under her eyes and they didn't shine the way they used to. A tear escaped her eye and glided down her cheek.

"Hey, don't cry."
h
I cooed and before I had time to think about what I was doing, I walked over to her a wiped the tear from her face. Sparks seemed to spread from my fingers  otas I cupped her cheek. She seemed surprised by my sudden closeness before she smiled slightly. I let my hand fall down her arm and to her hand. Carefully, I intertwined our fingers together and squeezed gently. She smiled and squeezed back.

I lifted her chin up to face me with my other hand, so that our eyes met. My breath hitched in my throat and as I stared deeply inter her eyes, all my confidence washed away as my eyes drifted to her lips and back to her eyes. She smell of lavender and fresh rain seemed to rise off her which seemed to create a calming atmosphere around us.

"We can do this."

I whispered. She nodded and smiled agin before she bit her lip. I dropped my hand, ready to return to my book when she grabbed a fistful of my shirt and swung me around to face her again. She smiled before cupping my face in her arms and pulled our lips together. It was like time had stopped and I felt nothing but her lips on mine. They were delicate and slow, as if she wanted to savour every moment of it. My hands found their way to her waist as she twined her fingers through my messy hair.

Our lips separated but neither of us moved. I wanted to...

A ball of fire was shot into the cave directly at us. Instinctively, I transformed and curled myself around Sapphire.

The flames licked menacingly at my back, warming my scales. As I felt it pass,  I recoiled from Sapphire. She looked up at me gratefully, eyes once again, glimmering, unaffected by what had just happened before she transformed.

Time to kick some dragon butt.

We flew out into a already battlefield. Death Stares were everywhere. Even more than the last attack. I didn't see a Drake so far but I didn't hold my breath. They would be here. We joined in fights between the dragons and 'the threat'. I ripped off the Death Stare's scales with my claws as I flew passed, sending them spiralling down in agony.

Then I heard it. I roar deeper and louder then anything I've ever heard. Like the thunder I heard before but closer. Much closer. A Dragon leaped from the top of the canyon down towards us. Unlike most dragons however this one was big. Much bigger. It had two feet instead of four. And on its wings were large talons. Bigger than my head.

What were we thinking?