Cardiophobia

Cardiophobia- Fear of the heart.

There was a knock at the warehouse at 1 a.m.

Darcy stepped in as Harley greeted her.

"He's upstairs, first door to the left. We put him in a jacket. Somethings up, usually he can control Scarecrow. But it didn't look like he was winning any more."

Darcy nodded and walked up the stairs. Her expression showed nervousness. She slowly pushed the door open. Crane looked up at her from his position on the floor. He looked like he was fighting sleep and his hair was going in every tangled direction.

He tilted his head up with a smile as she closed the door and took a seat in front of him. There was a long moment of silence.

"Scarecrow let Jonathan out," she said.

He chuckled. "Is there a problem, darling? Oh! Let me guess, things not go well with Strange?"

"Scarecrow, let Jonathan out now. Or else I'll keep you in this room for weeks."

Scarecrow licked his lips. "You promise?" He laughed. He stared at her for a moment. "Fine."

Jonathan blinked a couple of times and then met her gaze. "What happened?"

"I was gonna ask you the same question."

"I . . . I don't remember. All I remember was after you left, arguing with Scarecrow and then visions. Crows."

She looked at him confused. "Dr. Crane, I don't understand."

He looked at her with nervous eyes. "When I was younger my grandmother . . . she would lock me in a chapel and let the crows peck at me."

Darcy's shoulders slumped a little. "I'm sorry."

"I think I'm beginning to understand you, Ms. Santiago," he said. "You give off this carefree, confident persona to hide how broken you are. Fear makes sense. That's why you use it. It's the only human emotion you can fully comprehend. You definitely have trouble with love. I don't even think you know its meaning."

She swallowed the lump in her throat and stared at him before inhaling deeply. "I grew up in an abusive family. When I turned seven Ra's Al Ghul showed up at my home and offered my parents money. He needed a prodigy. Someone who was already broken and could be manipulated to his will. That day he took me. I didn't take anything with me except a locket. A bit cliche. Ra's was no better than my parents. He trained me in the League of Shadows. If I messed up or talked back, beatings, no food. But I was able to get away. I came here. To start new. Then one day I saw a girl about to get mugged and raped in an alley. I stopped him and asked him, 'What do you fear?' I can be very persuasive. He was petrified of fire. So I burned him alive and decided I'd become an evil guardian of sort."

He looked at her surprised. His eyes searched hers, trying to decipher if she was telling him the truth. She leaned forward and undid the straps, taking off the jacket. He stretched his arms out and grasped her wrists.

"Kiss me," he whispered. She paused fot a moment and complied. She closed the gap between them. When they pulled apart he held her face in his palms. "Scarecrows gone silent . . . I-I can't hear him right now."

She smiled. "I should get going." She stood and he followed, wrapping his arms around her.

"Stay."

She looked into his icy blue eyes and slightly nodded.

"Alright. I won't leave you."