Coronation Ball

I woke up yesterday to servants bustling around in the halls, running here and there, with banners and balloons flowing in their hands and others balancing heaps of silverware and plates.

I picked out my fancy lavender dress with the intricate patterns and put on my regular tiara without much relish.

Today was supposed to be my special day, yet my heart ached with emptiness. Something felt missing. I was disappointed that I didn't get to apologize to everyone back at school. And as for Hugo, I doubt he's even coming.

And Miss Flora... Now that I thought about it, perhaps she really was just a plain old lonely lady. I now know the agony of being lonely after Hugo dumped me yesterday.

And as for Amber, perhaps she really loved him. I could only imagine that she must have been as devastated as I was to find out he wanted to break up with her.

I found Dad in the throne room ordering servants and assigning them different tasks.

"Hey Dad, what's with all the hassle? Who's coming?" I asked.

"Well, you see, Sofia, it might come as a surprise to you but your mother and I decided to invite your entire school!" he said happily.

My heart sank with horror and I just gave him a blank stare. "W-what?"

"Come on, Sofia! We have to show your class some gratitude!"

Had he forgotten what happened yesterday? Or was this on purpose?

"By the way, Amber, I mean, Sofia, I want you to remove that hair dye. This is a ceremonial event."

"Um... I'll be going," I said uneasily.

Why did Dad think I was Amber? And was my hair really that blonde?

I headed to garden to take a quick stroll and breathe some fresh air.

What was wrong with my hair? And how was I supposed to welcome my classmates and teachers to my ball?

My thoughts were interrupted by rustling at the other side of the hedge.

I looked over.

The cabbage patch.

"Clover!" I screamed, spotting his furry gray body. "Clover, you've got to help me! I don't know what to do! My whole class is coming and I have no idea what to do with my hair! Clover, please!"

He merely shot me a dirty look and made strange gestures but he said nothing.

"Clover, I'm sorry! I mean it! I'm sorry I took you for granted. You and Mia and Robin are my only true friends! You have to listen! I'll even slip you as much of my dinner as you want--with extra carrots!"

No response.

"Oh, I see. You're giving me the silent treatment. Well if that's how you want it..."

I turned my back to him and crossed my arms.

I felt Clover tugging at the hem of my dress.

"What do you want?" I said irritably.

I turned around and Clover gestured at his neck and pointed at mine.