Amber Exposed

After school that day, I immediately headed to the flying derby stables.  There were some unfamiliar princes, already dressed in their uniforms. I met up with Sir Gilliam, who gave me a violet uniform and a helmet. He introduced me to my flying horse. Actually, it was the only horse available. The horse was named Minimus. He was lavender and chubby and his legs were short and stubby, but I think he has potential.

When I exited the stable with Minimus, I was met by Hugo.

"Sofia? I didn't know you did flying derby," he said, aghast.

"Well, I do now. Zandar told me the team needed at least one girl and none of the other princesses wanted to do it, so here I am," I said, fixing on my helmet.

"Well, uh, good for you."

There was an awkward silence.

"Um... Your flying derby uniform really suits you," he suddenly blurted out.

"Y-you think so?" I gazed up at him.

Minimus snorted at me teasingly, so I hit his muzzle to shut him up.

"Yeah." Hugo smiled. We locked eyes for a while, until he broke away brusquely. "So? Shall we practice? Not that you don't know how to do it or that you'd mind practicing with someone else, but you're kinda new here and I'm the only one you're acquainted with. I mean, you can ask Sir Gilliam to teach you, but I'm just saying--"

"Okay then," I chuckled. "I've never heard you talk so much before."

"Let's go over to the other side, where it's not so occupied." He pointed to the opposite side of the field, just behind the brick arch.

We mounted our horses.

"Now what do we do?" I asked.

"All you have to do is flick the reins and pull the direction you want to go. Like this," he demonstrated. With a flick and a pull, he took off on his golden winged horse.

The horse's wings flapped majestically in the afternoon glow and it moved with such grace. But the real beauty of it all was Hugo, mounted boldly on his horse, like a dashing knight. He did twists and turns and my eyes followed his direction.

When he at last landed, I remarked, "That was incredible!"

"Yeah, well I've practiced. Now how about give it a try?"

I mounted Minimus and followed the instructions Hugo gave me.

We soared into the air. I tightened my grip on the reins. I felt the breeze through my hair and the warm sunlight. It was going well until my palms slipped off of the reins.

I fell from the sky. I was like a falling angel, a failed angel. I felt slightly betrayed by Minimus for humiliating me in front of Hugo.

Thud!

I landed on a cushion. I'd really rather fall to my death instead of suffering from mortification.

I dusted myself off and gave a nervous laugh. "Haha, let me try that again."

I mounted Minimus and gripped the reins as tightly as possible this time, nearly suffocating him.

I whispered into his ear, "Don't you dare make me look bad in front of Hugo."

Minimus nodded meekly.

I flicked the reins and pulled them. Once again we headed toward the sky. I looked up at it hopefully. Here I go. I'm gonna redeem myself.

But clumsy, unsteady Minimus was again the cause of my downfall.

Gravity was pushing me down. Down, down I went, anticipating the rebound of a cushion against me or even the the sound of my bones cracking against the hard ground.