Royal Prep

It was only yesterday that I was officially crowned Princess of Enchancia and my mom the Queen of Enchancia.

Our new home, the palace, was a breathtaking splendor with its marble pillars, gold walls, and countless windows. Everyone welcomed me warmly, including my new family. King Roland, my new dad, gave me a beautiful purple amulet that holds magical powers. My new brother, Prince James gave me a tour of the palace and introduced me to his pet dog Rex. However, not everyone seemed happy to have me.

My new sister, Princess Amber, avoided me as much as possible. She wouldn't meet my eyes or talk to me but when she did, she did it bitterly.

Anyway, today is my first day of Royal Prep.

This morning, I woke up in my niche bed by the window. Sadly, I had hoped my royal life was a dream and that I'd wake up instead in my wooden bed in Dunwiddie Village.

My bird friends, Mia and Robin held up my satin lilac gown adorned with pearls and ribbons with their beaks.

"Get up, Princess! It's time for your big day!" my rabbit friend Clover cried.

I hopped out of bed and tossed the covers aside. I got behind a folding screen where Mia and Robin helped me change into my lilac dress.

"Are you excited?" Clover asked.

"No, I'm actually kind of nervous," I admitted as my arms found their way into the sleeves of the dress. "I don't know anyone there and I don't think Amber and James would help me."

"Don't worry, Sofia," Robin reassured me. "I'm sure you'll be fine."

Mia placed my silver tiara on my head like how one would top off an ice cream with a cherry and said, "There, you're all ready."

I stepped out from behind the screen and grabbed my purple backpack.

"Thanks, guys. I don't know what I'd do without you."

"No, problem, Sofia," Robin said.

Clover examined the anxious look on my face.

"You know," he began, "if you're so nervous for school, we can come along and give you some advice."

Mia nodded vigorously in agreement, but Robin immediately disapproved.

"Clover, what are you thinking?!" she scolded. "This is Sofia's first day and we can't ruin it by coming along! Right, Sofia?"

She turned her feathery red head to me.

"Actually, I won't mind if you guys come along. My day will go well as long as I'm with you guys!"

Robin sighed in defeat and Clover smirked triumphantly. Mia only looked between them stupidly.

"All right, guys, hop on," I said as I opened my backpack to let them in.

I fitted my backpack on and could feel them squirming a little, but I dealt with it.

In the coach, Amber must have noticed that I was acting unusually overjoyed because she shot me suspicious glares.

I avoided her and looked down instead at our palace beautiful palace. The lake surrounding it shimmered so gracefully and the trees and grass were bathed in the cool morning sunshine. From down below, the palace was as grand as a mountain, but it amazed me how small it was from above.

"Sofia?" James suddenly said.

I flinched at the sound of his voice. "Hm?"

"Why is your backpack so huge? It's only the first day. You won't really be needing much besides some parchment and a quill."