Chapter 37

I slacked. I feel like only a week has gone by since my last update. It's been like 3 months.

Should I see a doctor?

Stefan's POV

"Reneeva, call the doctor," I barked out. She ran out of the room with a whimper.

Reese looked at the door as it closed and looked back at the side of my face. "Stefan...I don't think a doctor is going to be able to do anything," she glanced back at Shod, the Chef.  "...at this point."

I sat up against the island counter and ran a hand through my hair. "I know." I looked down at Shod and tried to figure out why someone would do this to someone like him. He had no family, no children, no one but Reneeva and me and miss him if he was gone.

"I just needed Reneeva to get away from...this. She's too fragile to handle a shock like a murdered friend." I saw her nod her head absently out of the corner of my eye. I stood up and walked over to her, grabbing her shoulders to bring her attention towards me instead of Chef.

"You need to leave. Go to your bedroom and lock the door. Whatever defense system I had, has failed."

"You've gotta be shitting me."

I cracked a smile. "I am, unfortunately, not 'shitting you'." She shook her head and rubbed her face.

"Ok, I'm going." She left the room with a huff and I was left alone with a dead body.

How the fuck did that pixie mess up my shield?

Reese POV

"Ok, I'm going." Bossy. I turned and walked through the double swinging doors, more forcefully than necessary I might add. A man just died and I'm being told to go to my room.

It's like a twisted sitcom episode.

I took my time getting back to my room on the other side of the palace sized house. By the time I got to the top of the stairs, I was starting to feel uncomfortable.

You know that feeling when someone is watching you? But then you do a 360 and there's no one there? Welcome to my afternoon.

I kept walking until I felt it again and stopped. I slowly turned around once more and nearly yelled out in surprise.

Behind me was a woman.

Her eyes were white like snow. Blazing red hair fell around her high cheek bones and seemed to almost defy gravity. Her body itself was cloaked in a blood red material that covered her from neck to feet and mimicked the same floating look as her hair.

"Your help is needed elsewhere, Reese Canton," she spoke, yet her mouth never moved. "You waste your time vying for the affection of two different men when you could be making a name for yourself."

"Who are you? What do you mean? I'm useless, I promise! And the last thing I want is their affection!" I took a step back and hit a decorative table with nothing on it.

What's the point of these stupid things? Not now, Reese. Pay attention to the freaky lady!

"You are the key to more than one person's unraveling. In the wrong hands, you're a weapon; in the right hands, you're the key to peace." She continued not-speaking-while-speaking as I took another step back, this time around the pointless table.

"I don't know what you're talking about! How did you even get in here?" I wanted to scream at this point.

"I'm the one who was responsible for this home's security - for your security."

I looked back, stunned. "Then why did you tear it down?" All she did was smirk. "Are you the one who killed the chef, too?" Again. Another smirk.

"He was weak. He wasn't ready for a revolution. He wasn't ready for you." She started coming closer to me. I tried to move back again, but I was stuck in place. My whole body was frozen to the spot.

Her pale, thin hands reached out and held my face. "It is time for you to be utilized, my child. The Sivatnya is a gift from our ancestors and now you must use it in our favor." I gasped at both her words and the pressure she was now applying to my face. Her hands squeezed harder with every word. I brought my hands up to try and remove them from my face, but they just slipped right through her.

I didn't know what to believe anymore. I could feel her, but I couldn't touch her.

Her eyes glowed a more vibrant white than before. "We will come for you when the time is right. Now...sleep."

Her hair was the first to turn black. Then her eyes, and finally the world.

Unknown POV

"Her spirit is too strong. We can't control her without breaking her first."

"There won't be any need for that. The friend has become close to us. She can be used to our advantage."

The first man shifted in his bed, his face wincing in pain from the movement. A house nurse brought him water and dabbed his forehead with a damp towel.

"I'm an old man. I don't have the comfort of waiting for alternative avenues anymore. She must become one of us, and soon!"

"She will, father. I can promise you everything will turn out in our favor." The son sat on the edge of his dying father's bed and held his hand.

"You've been a good son, Cantice. Don't let your final deed before I die be one in vain and mockery."

The son let go of the old man's hand. He had always felt as if he were a disappointment to his father. This only proved to him that he was. "You have nothing more to worry about, father. Rest and I'll handle everything from here on out."

The son got up and left the room, steaming from the discouragement he felt from his only living family. His plan would have to work. He had to make the old bastard see he had value after all.

No Nikki today, but how juicy????

Sorry again for such a long wait! Not even sure what to tell you there. I just kinda lost track of the time. I'll try my best to not do that in the future.

You deserve better!!