60 Josh POV

Mulai dari awal

We've gotta find her! Coffeeblue barked, shifting around uncomfortably. The big, dark brown wolf next to her nudged her.

Alpha pressed his ears to his head, his tail flashing with agitation. He shifted around as well, his eyes glancing everywhere, filled with confusion.

Dad… I thought, anger toward him building in my chest again. I have ta find her. And I'm bringin' her back whether ya like it 'er not.

For the first time sing I'd known him, his expression filled with doubt. Josh… I can't… I can't risk her tellin' everyone because she's mad at ya.

I held onto that anger, finding it much more comfortable than heartbreak. I growled at the alpha, baring my teeth at him. will find her. Whether y'all help 'er not ain't my problem.

Peter… Mom said, turning towards him. They conversed to themselves as mates and alphas can do, but he nodded.

He looked at me, raising his head. A member of my pack is missing, and we must find her.

A riot of howls followed him, and I joined the song.

Coffeeblue, Adam and Tannar follow the tracks back—see if they let 'er off somewhere. Cormac, Kyler and Iya follow the creek down to the right of the tracks. Alpha instructed, taking his role as leader of the pack. The groups nodded and took off in the direction they were instructed.

Dad turned back to me, and I finally noticed a smaller wolf by his side.

Levi? I asked sharply, glancing up at my mother. What is he doin' here? What're ya doin' here?

Levi shrunk back, pressed his ears to his head.

Mom growled lowly. Levi has fully shifted. He and Kyler're officially a part a the pack.

Alpha nodded. Josh… Gail, Levi, and I will scout around. I suggest ya follow the creek. I hope ya find 'er, son.

They soon disappeared in the dark of the trees. I let out a shaky breath, letting my head fall. The water lapped at my nose, settled on my tongue. With a gasp, I shot up. Water was not supposed to taste like oil and gasoline. In the distance, two dim red lights clicked on and then off. Tail lights, I realized. I shot towards them, the water splashing around me. A new hope burst inside me as I jumped on the shore. I would find her.

I kept towards where I had seen the light, but they were gone. The water swirled as though it had recently been disturbed. Mud and dirt settled gladly back to the bottom. A set of tire tracks turned back into the mud. As I skidded around to follow them, determination set in.

White specks floated down from the sky to rest on anything they landed on—including the tracks. No, I thought.

It's snowin'! Coffeeblue gasped. It's gonna hide the scent.

And the tracks. I added, pushing myself further.

All of a sudden, the scent strengthened, and then changed. Danny's scent was no longer mixed in with the van. I stopped, sniffing the air, opening my mouth to taste it. Strange, human voices called out to one another, but I couldn't decipher the words. I took off in their direction.

The van was parked, and two boys leaned against it. They were about my age, but I didn't care. Hiding in the foliage, I crept towards them. The van door was open, but the interior was completely empty. Danny? I thought towards her.

She was no longer in the van. She had to be in the woods somewhere. But she didn't answer.

I considered attacking the two boys, but I knew it was unwise. "How long do you think he's gonna take?" the first boy asked, chuckling with a devilish smile.

"A while," the other laughed. "Maybe he'll let us have a turn, eh?"

I bristled as the other one agreed. It was all I could do not to run out and close my jaws around the boys' necks.

The first one elbowed the other. "Let's go see if he will."

The second one straightened, grinning devilishly. "We have no idea where he is, though."

"Somewhere around here," he shrugged. "We'll just have to look."

I was shaking with rage by the time they were gone. Gaining my composure again, I made my way to the van, jumping inside. Blood stained the carpet on the far side. The scent assured me that it was hers. Many other scents floated around the car, but I could only pick out hers. It was the one I was most familiar with. I jumped back out of the van into the already packing snow and followed where the two boys had gone.

In the distance, a figure emerged from the ground. I slunk behind a tree as it came towards me. It was definitely male, but not one of the other boys I had recently encountered. Instinctively, I knew he was the one who took Danny. I bared my teeth, but kept back. I couldn't attack him. Not yet.

Something suddenly hit my head from behind with so much force that I was knocked to the ground. Spots surrounded my vision, and I tried to stand, but a foot connected with my side, sending me back into the dirt. "Not such a tough guy now, are ya?" One of the boys laughed.

The black spots grew and I struggled to keep my consciousness. "This the wolf you warned about, dude?"

"Of course it is, you idiot!" The other guy snapped. "Why else would it be sneaking around here?"

"Do we tie it up or something? Kill it?"

There was no answer, but there was shuffling around me.

"Knock it out," The first guy said. Immediately afterwards, pain filled my head and the spots grew until everything went black.

Finally, I held her in my arms, pressing her to me. My face was buried in her hair, wallowing in her scent. She pulled away from me to trail her fingertips along my unshaven jaw, her touch alighting feelings I had never known before. I closed my eyes, sighing softly as her finger continued to slide along my skin. Her hand brushed my mouth, and my heart went into overdrive. Opening my eyes, I reached up to grab her hand. Her mouth parted in confusion and she gazed up at me with those eyes. My lips grazed her knuckles, placing a soft kiss in the palm of her hand. I released her hand and pulled her closer still, enjoying the slight gasp I pulled from her mouth.

All I could focus on were her lips. The soft pink, the way they curved up at the corners, just inviting me to kiss them. Just as I leaned down to press our lips, her soft voice stopped me. "You could've saved me…" She whispered, her eyes flashing with hurt.

"Danny…" I breathed, shaking my head.

"It's your fault…"

"Danny, no…"

Her eyes darkened until the light completely dimmed. "You could've saved me…" She repeated before falling limp in my arms.

"Danny!" I cried, trying to shake her awake. "Danny!"