14

My family—we own a horse ranch. If you want to ride, we can go tomorrow after school and then you and Iya can go shopping—although I'm sure Coffeeblue would love to come now, too." he paused. "Please." He begged.

I had rummaged up my courage to say no, and then he went and put on that voice that pleaded with me to hear him. I rolled my head over to stare at him. His bright blue eyes had gone dull and he stared at me helplessly. I closed my eyes and sighed. Hesitantly, I nodded. He smiled, but his eyes only brightened a bit.

"I—I guess I should probably…leave…now, shouldn't I?" he said, frowning and averting his gaze. I nodded, hating seeing him so hurt, and knowing that I had caused it. But it also felt nice, that someone would actually care enough about me that he would feel hurt when I did. What am I talking about? He doesn't actually care for me. He just wants Destiny, just like any other guy does. He's just another useless, stupid guy that I fell for. Tomorrow—tomorrow would decide whether or not I cared for him, and if he actually, truly cared for me too.

I doubt it, but it always helped to be open-minded, right?

I hope so.

Josh left soundlessly, and the house was silent after that. I didn't want to go to sleep for fear of nightmares, but I didn't want to stay up and think about him either. I didn't know what to do, but eventually I fell asleep again for the hundredth time that day.

I knew I was dreaming, but this was just weird. I'd never had dreams like this. The meadow surrounding me was flawless, where every piece of grass swayed perfectly in the breeze that I couldn't feel. The sun was low on the horizon, emitting thousands of brilliant colors across the landscape. A couple stars dotted the sky, and I was standing under a huge willow tree whose leaves were trapping me inside. Wildflowers poked up from the grass, spurting it with spots of vivid colors. I looked down to find myself dressed in a pearl white sundress. Arms encircled my waist and a pair of lips connected with my ear. I didn't jump like I normally would've, but instead I turned around, smiling and gazed up into those oddly bright eyes.

"Hey," he breathed, his face inches from mine.

I smiled and chuckled. "Hey," I replied in the same voice. I should've been astounded that I responded without even thinking. But I hardly blinked an eye. I reached up and wrapped my arms around his neck.

He smiled, and then it died as quickly as it came. His eyes flickered back and forth as they studied my eyes. "I really am sorry, Danny. I wish there was a way I could prove that to you." he leaned his forehead on mine and closed his eyes.

"Did you….do…anything?" my voice broke and tears filled my eyes.

"No, I swear. We got as far as her room before I realized I didn't want her. I want you and only you." his arms tightened to bring us closer.

I wasn't sure if I should have believed him, but I wanted to, I really did. I sniffled. "You left me with Jake, Joshua. He could've hurt me, he almost did. You realize that?"

He lifted his head and kissed my forehead. "I'm so sorry. I wasn't thinking. I would take it all back if I could."

I laid my head on his chest, rearranging my arms so they went around his waist. "I just—I just… I was hurt, Josh. I had just realized I have feelings for you, and then you just leave me for my sister. I just couldn't believe it. I felt like everything had gone wrong. I just thought that you were different—that maybe you wouldn't fall for Destiny's charms or her body and how she showed it off.

"But I guess I was wrong,"

I tried pulling away from him, but he held me tight against his chest. "Hey, hey. Danny, there's a reason I talk to you when no one else does, or how I ignore Destiny and Jake, or how I chase after you even when you're at your worst. Why do you think I've offered to take you away every time something happens to you at school, or wherever we are? Why do you think I came to your house right after school? I don't care about you getting your homework—but I will take every chance I've got to be with you, even for a moment. There's a reason for all of that—there's a reason I'm here right now in this dream. I love you, Danny. I have since I've first laid eyes on you."