Chapter Three: You owe me

Start from the beginning

-----------

My eyes fixed on my watch, my heart thumping in my chest. Someone's hand latched around my shoulder making me jump. I look around to find Darren behind me.
"Looks like you just saw a ghost. What's wrong little Nico?" he asked concerned.
"Billy," I whisper.
"What about him, why you so afraid about him anyway, come on let's go yeah," he smiles.
"Darren I got to give the money to Billy but I've not seen him all day," I begin to explain.
"Well tough shit on him then hey? Come on; tell him you couldn't find him. If you must give the money tomorrow to him but I would rather you put the money back and you to teach him a lesson once and for all.
You do realize this is all bullshit, if you just stood up for yourself you wouldn't have to worry about any of this," Darren begins to explain.
I've heard Darren's pep talks one too many times. It goes in one ear and out the other. Darren is the complete opposite of me, but even sometimes he does rub off on me and not always in a good way.
It's after school I'm by the gates alone at first but now joined by Darren which isn't good. I would rather have gave billy the money before Darren got here.
I had kind of hoped this would be easy but by the looks of it that wasn't how this was going to turn out. Darren would cause trouble I know he would and I didn't need trouble.
"Nico," I heard billy's voice shout behind me I didnt turn around just waited for him to walk over he frowned when he saw Darren.
Oh shit! "I thought I told you to stay out of this," Billy said to Darren in a threatning voice Darren scoffed, "Anything to do with Nico is everything to do with me."
Billy's face seemed to push itself in which meant he isn't impressed. "And anyway I know about all this and you know what I think"? He asked taking a step closer to Billy, "What?" Billy asked clenching his fists by his side.
"I think you're a dick!"
Everything that happened next seem to happen in slow motion. I see Darren raise his fist I see it collide with Billy's nose. I hear it crack. I see Billy stumble backwards in disbelief his hands flying straight to his face to feel the extent of the
damage. They came away and I see him look at the blood on his fingertips wide eyed I felt Darren grab my arm and shout, "Run"!
I did as Darren said. We ran. I didn't stick around even if Keith was actually meant to pick me up. We didn't stop running and my home isn't too close to the school either at least a half hour walk.
We did it in about fifteen minutes running. We stopped outside the gates that are tight shut. I speak into the speaker. "It's Nico please let me in I'm with a friend," I call.
The gates started to open slowly and we were already through and heading up to the mansion before they were even half way open. I rang the doorbell I'm not allowed a key. Ever heard of someone having a key to a mansion? No answer I rang it again more urgently this time Anita answered in about ten seconds.
"Hey Nico can I ask if your friend is going to be staying for din..."  Was all she got in before Darren and I ran past her up the stairs and straight to my bedroom
I closed the door almost breathless I wheezed sitting on my bed my breaths were heavy and loud my heart threatening to do a runner from my chest.
Darren kneeled on the floor doing the same he had his hand on his chest, "That's what smoking does to you," I told him he didn't say anything for about a minute still trying to catch his breath.
"Your breathing just the same and you don't smoke!" he managed to snap back.
"Anyway wheres this Sally chick."
Once my breathing had steadied to a normal pace I got up from my bed walked over to the door and opened it I hesitated for a second but then started towards Sally's room it was directly opposite from mine.
"Come on," I instructed Darren I heard him get up and follow me.
I wasn't worried because I had Darren with me if I was alone to be honest I would be shitting myself so I when I knocked on the door it was a confident knock she didnt answer typical.
I knocked a little harder the door suddenly flew open she stood there wearing a mini skirt and a top so low I could see half her breasts she looked at me breifely but then her eyes wondered straight to Darren.
She looked at him like almost every girl looks at him when they first meet him wide eyed and twirling the hair smiling I rolled my eyes.
"I need to talk to you," I said firmly.
"Sure," she said in a flirty voice still looking at Darren "Your friend too?" she asked.
"Yes," I said trying not to sound to cocky if she thought Darren was interested in her she was even more nuts then she looked as if he would go for a tart.
She stepped aside to make room for us to enter when we did she closed the door behind her.
"Okay," Darren said without a moment's pause "Where is it?"
"Where's what?" she asked dumbfounded Darren stepped towards her, "Don't act like you dont know what im talking about you little bitch!"
Sally almost gasped taken aback by Darren's sudden outburst I know it sounds horrible but it made me smile she deserved to be spoken to like that.
"I'll ask you again where is it?"
"It has nothing to do with you!" Sally said defensively trying to stand her ground she was looking at him differently now her body launguage suggested she wasnt afraid of him but her eyes told another story.
It is exavtly what I had hoped for. Darren took another step forwards which made Sally step backwards towards the door.
"I'm going to ask you for the last time where the fuck is the money you took from Nico!"
"You cant do anything to do me," Sally said confidently folding her arms.
"Oh yeah," Darren said in a way that made me feel uncomfortable, "You wont be the first girl I've knocked out," he smirked he locked his fingers together and stretched his arms outwards.
I hear his fingers give a crack Sally's eyes wideneded a little Darren had never touched a girl before well not like that anyway this was all just a front to scare the shit out of Sally and by the looks of it, it was working.
"What makes you think I won't go straight to his dad even if I do give him the money back?" she asked still trying to sound as if she wasnt afraid but Darren and I both saw right through her she looked at me then back at Darren again.
"you really don't want to take that risk sweetheart," Darren threatened.
Sally stood there for a moment thinking then walked over to her wardrobe near her bed she opened it rummaged around for a few seconds and pulled out a carrier bag.
She turned round unrolled it and revealed the five hundred quid she had taken. I found myself exhale with relief this was easier than I thought it would be.
She walked over and handed it to me she was angry I could tell. I stuffed it down my pants like I had when I had taken it from my dad's lab.
"And what do you say?" Darren asked sarcastically.
Sally looked like she wanted to kill me she closed her eyes in frustration but thought better of it openeing them quickly and instead quietly saying, "Sorry."
Darren smiled, "That's a good little girl," he said before we headed for the door to leave Sally to explode
Darren haunted my dreams. In a good way, well I'm not sure how to look at it. Darren was turning me into a monster. Bet your thinking how could he even do that right? Well, it's easy. Darren to some extant is one. I wouldn't ask for any other best friend but the way he approaching things sometimes isn't good. I asked him for help and he jumped at it after laughing about it being a girl.
I can't help if I don't have the charm and aggressiveness he has. He is turning me into one though isn't he? Slowly he is, I can feel it. The worst part is even my dreams now haunt me about it. I didn't get out of bed. I stayed there sulking almost. Worrying about future advents that may never even happen.
No idea where I get that from, my mum never worried neither does my dad. He knows what he is doing though don't he, he always has. I never got my father's brains or my mothers. I sometimes wonder if I'm even there biological son. A loud knock at my door made me jump. "What!" I shout.
"You are going to be late," calls Anita. "I'm not going!" I snap back.