Chapter Seventeen: Edgy

Author's note: Alright, the tempo will be picked up in this chapter which will lead up to the climax of the story and then pan out into the ending. Obviously not all in the same chapter! I am quite astounded by all the votes I got on that author's note. I didn't realize so many people actually want me to continue to write this story. Didn't realize that many people liked it, to be honest. Anyway, thanks for giving me your input. I will, obviously, be continuing with BBBR.

This chapter is dedicated to my wonderful friend JJ.

~

I'm positive the horror on my face was deeply evident as Cato continued to stride across the small plain towards me. He looked enraged. Not as much as before - but still pretty bad. My instincts kicked in and I stood up in a defensive position, knives in each hand, poised to throw in case Cato made any sudden moves.

I knew what was happening. It was obvious. Cato was getting edgy; too edgy. The question was, why? Was he actually, dare I say, intimidated by that District Twelve girl? It looked that way. So now, he was taking out all the targets - or attempting to. Planning on leaving Katniss for the end to give everyone a glorious, bloody show.

Strapped at his side was his sword, but as he quickly advanced, I knew he had no intention of cutting me up nicely. Nope, if I was to die, it would be painful and slow. Truth to tell, I didn't expect the blonde brute to turn on me so quickly. Did my hormones have anything to do with that illusion? Probably.

"You know, you've annoyed me since the first day I met you, " Cato growled.

"You're just jealous because someone - particularly a girl - is better than you, " I retorted, smirking.

He shook his head patronizingly. "Huh. Didn't expect something that stupid to come out of your mouth. I thought you were at least partly smart, Clovely."

My eyes widened to the size of saucers. "Did you just-"

Cato flashed a grin full of perfectly white teeth at me. "I did."

Alright, that's it. No more messing around, I angrily thought before hurling my first knife towards him. I didn't throw it on point, of course. If I wanted him dead quickly, I'd throw it towards somewhere vital. Like, you know, his jugular or something.

Adjusting himself, he broke into a roll and came up in the blink of an eye, now running towards me. Quickly thinking, and with some showy footwork for the potential sponsors watching, I threw my second knife, which skimmed his cheek. A thin line of dark, crimson blood dripped down towards his neck, but he ignored it.

About two seconds passed as I was watching to figure out my next move - I couldn't just keep throwing knife after knife in the same spot...how boring - before Cato practically threw himself at me, sending both of us crashing to the ground.

As my body hit the ground, with all the extra weight on top of me, I hissed in pain through clenched teeth. Cato grabbed my wrists and pinned me there; no knives for me. They'd flown out of my hands when I was rudely tackled and I was obviously not getting them back any time soon.

Growling in frustration, I squirmed underneath his iron grip, but my efforts were almost laughable. He was too strong for me, and I'd be a fool to think otherwise. "Let. Go, " I ordered angrily.

Ignoring me, Cato's eyes settled on one of my knives that had landed about six inches away from me. He chuckled humorlessly. "Oh? What's this?"

Cato grabbed the knife with one hand while keeping me pinned with the other, though he'd released my wrists, which gave me great relief. Not much though. In the back of my mind was complete and utter terror. If I didn't come up with a plan soon, I'd be dead.