Chapter Two: Shove Off Blondie

~*~*~*~*~

Wow! I did not expect you all to like the first chapter that much. It's quite flattering to know that none of you particularly hated it =) Seriously, it makes me feel so good! Okay, getting a little off topic here, but how many of you watch the Walking Dead? I've just started watching it! I literally almost threw up when I watched the first episode, but I'm fine now and I'm addicted to the series. For real, it's a really good show! I could do without a lot of the zombie guts (ha! Yeah, believe it or not I'm a baby when it comes to horror stuff unless it's in books or video games.) To be honest, it's a better show than I expected it, and if you haven't seen it, then I recommend that you watch it.

~*~*~*~*~

His eyes drooped to the two knives sheathed on my thigh, and he raised an eyebrow, either in amusement or curiosity. Maybe even both. Before I had the chance to retort, he continued, "Don't you think those knives are a bit too big for you, gorgeous?" A soft chuckle escaped him as he ran a hand through his blonde hair.

"No, but I also think they'd fit perfectly embedded in your throat, " I growled impatiently.

To be quite honest, I was surprised with the reply that escaped me. It sounded a lot more vulgar than I had intended, though the look of horror that briefly crossed Cato's stupid face was well worth it.

"Ouch, that hurts, gorgeous, " he said, placing a hand over his heart.

I gave a small smirk. "Good...now shove off, blondie."

Cato laughed and threw an arm over my shoulder, making cringe and want to burn him at the stake. "Aww come on, I'm not that bad, am I, gorgeous?"

Looking up at him, I replied, "No, you're far worse."

Cato's smirk fell and I pushed him away before skipping over to the station where I threw my knives. Three dummies were set up in a triangular position, two farther behind the middle one, which was placed about five feet ahead of the other two. I almost always aimed for the head or the heart - whichever I felt like destroying.

One of the trainers had had the dummies modified, so that whenever I hit the dummies in the heart, blood would spew everywhere. It was quite amusing.

I unsheathed both of my knives and grasped them tightly in each hand. Taking a deep breath, I assumed the correct stance and raised the first knife to throw.

In the blink of an eye, the knife was out of my hands and sticking out of the heart of the dummy in the front. I smirked in satisfaction as the fake blood gushed out of the dummy and spilled on to the cushioned floor.

After retrieving my knife, I heard a low whistle from behind me. "What do you want now, idiot?" I demanded, turning around.

"Oh come on. I just came over here to tell you how incredibly talented you are with..."

"Knife throwing, " I replied irritably. Wasn't it obvious as to what I was doing?

Cato nodded. "Right, knife throwing. I thought you might have been flailing your arms and launching kitchen knives at that dummy - your pretend boyfriend."

I felt my mouth drop into the shape of an "O". "Excuse me?" I snapped. "I'll have you know I threw that knife perfectly! And I don't have pretend boyfriends, either!"

Sure, I had pretended I was married to Jacob Moran, the best hand-to-hand combat fighter in District Two at the time when I was eight - but unfortunately, he was eighteen at the moment, and wanted nothing to do with an eight year old girl who practiced with dulled weapons.

Cato threw his head back and laughed. "Come on now, take a joke, gorgeous."

He leaned against one of the climbing posts and grinned at me as he continued, "Even though it's extremely attractive, you don't have to be so sassy all the time. Relax."

I rolled my eyes. "Quit the whole bad boy act, alright? You can't pull it off."

"Act?" he laughed lightly. "Babe, this isn't an act."

"So you're naturally like this?"

"Duh, " he smirked.

----

Two days had passed since my little encounter with Cato, and to be honest, I was completely happy that I hadn't heard from him since then. It was like he had disappeared! Maybe he was dead.

A small smile crossed my face at that thought. Of course, he wouldn't be gone for long, if he was still alive. He'd want to train and maybe he even liked regular school a bit. Sure, it was completely annoying...but it was a good excuse if you didn't want to hang out with someone.

Idly twirling a pocket knife, I slipped into one of the many cream-colored desks and waited for the teacher to show up. As if on cue, she walked in. I had never bothered to learn her name, all I knew was that she had black hair that was streaked with gray, in which she kept tucked up into a bun, huge green eyes that reminded me of a cat, and that she was very slim and petite. Not to mention extremely stern and yelled at me every chance she got. I was kind of under the impression that she hated me.

Twenty minutes into the lesson on the history of the Capitol, Cato barged into the room looking quite flustered. I assumed he was in no mood to talk by the way he stomped over to the only seat open - which happened to be in front of me - and didn't say anything to me.

The teacher, or Cat Lady, as I had previously nicknamed her, continued on with her lesson, glaring at Cato for a few seconds as if she were trying to burn a hole through his head.

Surprisingly, him not talking or doing anything just made me want to, well, bother him.

I set my knife down then took a notepad from my desk and tore out half of a piece of paper, before crumpling it as quietly as I could, and tossing it at the back of Cato's head. I smirked to myself as I watched him clench his fists. Surely he was resisting the urge to turn around and do something about it, wasn't he?

Sighing, I crumpled another piece of paper and threw it at his head.

This time, he turned around and scowled at me. "Knock it off!" he said in a harsh whisper.

I shook my head then threw another piece of paper at him.

"What's wrong with you?!" he nearly shouted, causing Cat Lady to stop right in the middle of her lecture.

"Detention, you two. Tomorrow, after school. My office, " she spat.

Cato glared at me one last time before turning around.

Oh joy, tomorrow would just be great.

~*~*~*~*~

Yay chapter two! I hope you liked it. If you didn't, then I am truly sorry, and the only thing I can say is, that's what you get for not giving me feedback ;) for real though, I want to hear what YOU guys want in this story. Little suggestions are always fabulous! So yeah, later!