Chapter Fourteen: Fire

So,

For the featured presentation...

Bad Boy Better Run, Chapter Fourteen: Fire

~*~*~*~*~

"You're too much, Cato!" Glimmer laughed, swatting him with her hand.

I rolled my eyes, she was being ridiculous. The little brat. Oh, I'd like to take my best - no, my worst, she doesn't deserve my best - knife and stab her right in her pretty little face. We'd been up at the crack of dawn, hunting sleeping tributes...but there were none so far. We were all beginning to get a little bored, I mean, we came here for action...adventure...blood. But there was none. Yet.

Cato chuckled. "Oh, I know."

Oh, I know, I mocked Cato in my head.

But then I heard a loud, sizzling noise along with crackling. I whirled around and saw a wall of raging fire quickly making its way towards the rest of the group and me. Without thinking, I turned back around and began running for my life. I heard protests from the others but they were quickly silenced and I heard Glimmer scream. Out of the corner of my eye, I saw Marvel pulling ahead of me, along with Cato. Glimmer was right beside me. Peeta was also ahead of me.

I couldn't help the panicked scream that escaped my lips as a tree crashed in front of me, trapping both Glimmer and me. I frantically looked around for an escape route while Glimmer wailed, obviously not helping at all.

Scowling, I grabbed her hand and began zig-zagging my way through debris, trying to find my way around the tree. There was no time for anything, and there Glimmer was screaming, not doing anything. Idiot.

Smoke was rapidly filling my lungs but I refused to cough, we would survive. Well, I would.

I forced myself to run faster, I would not go out like this. I was going to be the Victor. I had to be.

"There!" I exclaimed, finding a clearing that led to a little pond amongst some rocks. Cato, Marvel, and Peeta were there. They acted as if nothing had happened.

Glimmer and I caught up to them, and I looked behind me. The fire was completely gone, all of it. No trace of its existence could be found. Fresh air filled my lungs and I inhaled it greedily. Glimmer was already clinging to Cato about how scary it was, but he was looking my way, with his signature smirk plastered on his face.

"Afraid of a little fire, Clove? I'm surprised you didn't make it here before the rest of us, " he said, raising an eyebrow.

"A fallen tree had blocked my way, doofus, " I scoffed.

"Yeah, well-"

"Hey look! Look! There she is!" Marvel exclaimed.

I snapped my head in the direction Marvel was pointing, and there was my future kill. Katniss Everdeen, the Girl on Fire. She was right in front of me. In the pond. Obviously she was hurt. But as soon as she heard Marvel shouting, she climbed out of the water and fled.

And so the chase began.

All of us eagerly ran after her, except for Peeta. He was lagging behind ever-so-slightly. Huh.

Cato laughed as Katniss scurried up a tree, and Glimmer snickered. "That's not gonna help you up there, Katniss, " she exclaimed.

"Where do you think you're going?" I mused, grinning wickedly up at Twelve.

I looked at Cato, and I knew he was in his zone. "How've you been?" he questioned, toying with the hilt of his sword.

"Fine, and yourself?" Katniss replied, looking over a tree branch down at him.

"Fine."

"The weather's been a bit warm for my taste..." Katniss mused.

"Oh, enough! Just kill her!" Marvel exclaimed wildly.

 Cato checked to make sure his sword was properly secured on his back before curling his upper lip and stalking towards the tree. He began climbing. But I knew it was coming. He was too big, bulky. He'd never climb as high as Katniss, who was beginning to climb even higher.

A loud crack erupted. The piece of the tree Cato had been using to pull himself up had snapped, and he was plummeting towards the ground. He landed with a dull thud and groaned. I hid my amusement by turning my head away.

"Oh, let me!" Glimmer growled, whipping out her silver bow and loading it with an arrow.

She quickly aimed at Katniss and shot at her. The arrow completely missed her. Completely. I couldn't hold back my laughter this time, and Glimmer shot me a scowl. Oh, if looks could kill...

"Give me that, " Cato demanded, yanking the bow out of Glimmer's small hands.

He too, missed. By now I was getting frustrated and was about to climb up the tree myself to rip that freak to pieces, when Peeta made a suggestion.

"Let's just let her stay up there. She's gonna have to come down at some point. It's either that or starve to death, " he said, looking at each of us as he did so.

Cato nodded in approval, once again taking on the role of the leader. "Okay. Somebody make a fire."

Less than thirty minutes later, we were all sitting around a small fire. The sun had gone down, and it was a bit windy, making us all draw closer to the fire. None of us really talked. We were too tired, I think. It was only a couple days into the Games and we were already tired. At least, I was.

Glimmer sat next to Cato as he messed with his sword. I watched in disgust as the two of them flirted. I clenched my fists and stood up.

"Where do you think you're going?" Cato demanded without even looking at me.

Funny. Didn't think anyone would notice me leaving...

"What's it to you?" I snapped.

This time, Cato looked up at me. His signature smirk playing on his lips. "What's the matter, Clove?"

Our conversation was beginning to draw the attention of the others, especially Glimmer. Her eyes were trained on me the enter time, and she had this look on her face that made her look constipated, though I'm sure she was trying to look intimidating.

I clenched my jaw and started walking away. I got as little as fifteen feet away when someone grabbed my wrist. I knew it was Cato, just by the touch. It sent chills up my spine, and I was thankful for the darkness, as I felt a blush creeping up my cheeks.

"What do you want?" I hissed.

"You're jealous, aren't you? " he mused, and it was almost as if I could hear him smirking.

Yes, I thought.

"No. You're crazy, " I spat.

Before he had time to reply, I yanked myself free from him and stalked back to the camp, leaving him there. The feelings I had bothered me, and I was determined to keep my focus on the Games. Not someone I was going to have to...kill.

I swallowed. Killing Cato would be hard...but it would have to be done.

I'd trained for this my entire life.

But so has he, I reminded myself.

Author's note: This stinks. I know. I'm sorry, I've been really busy. I have dance team, school, and dance class that I have and it's taking up a lot of my time. Please don't be too harsh on me. I hope you guys understand that I'm doing my best to update, but it's really hard sometimes. Thanks for reading.