Trust No One

As you may have guessed, things took a turn for the worst.

Thank you to the amazing fans, you're relentless and i love it.

----------------------------------------

Chapter19.

Micah hovered over me with his cocky smirk plastered on his face and it fit him so well. I sat up on my elbows and left our lips inches from each other.

His eyes were locked into mine and only up this close did I notice the true beauty of the emerald green that had caught my eye so long ago. They were swirls with small specks of a variation of greens.

Captivated, I barely had time to take another breath before he was crashing his lips into mine and I lost all sense of gravity. Micah held me tight as our mouths moved together and it was as if I would slip away if he let go.

The world around us was silent, like everyone and everything stopped just for us. Micah suddenly went rigid and pulled away from me so fast it was almost cruel to my being.

But the knock on his door explained it. Micah spoke, his voice so raspy I had to hold back a laugh, "Yes?"

A small voice responded from the opposite side of the door, "Mister Prince? It's the king, sir, he requests you in his study."

Micah involuntarily groaned and ran a hand through his hair. Turning to face me, a look of disappointment covered his face, "I have to.."

Placing a hand I've his mouth, I silenced him with a smile and pointed to the door. I understood he had duties and I wouldn't be one to keep him from them.

Grinning back at me, he placed a soft kiss on my lips before leaving me in a flash. And then the room was empty and I immediately wanted company.

I walked to Micah's dresser and dug through it to find a clean shirt and some baggy work out shorts to put on. I wasn't looking to impress anyone, I just needed clean clothes. Slipping off the dirty ones, I threw them to the side and pulled on the clean ones.

Sniffing the air, I tested out my senses. I could smell a few common smells: lavender, oak, and something lemon tinged. Then there were two scents that I could pick up and my instincts told me they were people, men more specifically. I knew one was Micah, I knew the smell all too well.

That meant the other had to be someone else. Micah would probably be expecting me to wait for him here.. But curiosity got the best of me and I snuck towards the door. Opening it quietly, I slipped out and followed the smell.

It led me through various hallways, down the grand staircase, through a living room, down another flight of stairs, through two more rooms and then a huge steel door. As I peered around the corner of the corridor and stared at the door, I saw a man standing guard.

Well, kind of. He was doing a pretty pathetic job of being a guard considering he was sitting on the ground, twiddling his thumbs. So when I stealthily crept to him and knocked him out with a crowbar I found lying in the room next to me, he didn't even stand a chance.

I searched his pockets for the keys and stuck the biggest one on the ring into the door. It turned and opened with ease. The room behind the door was clearly some kind of dungeon or jail.

There was one poor excuse for an overhead light in the middle of the room and the walls of the room were lined with steel barred cages.

As I walked past each one, I saw nothing but a rat here and there. The scent of the person was extremely potent in this room yet I saw no one.

Then, out of the corner of my eye, something shuffled just enough for me to be able to catch it. Whipping around, I faced a cell that looked empty to the human eye but now I really strained my eyes and saw a figure in the darkest corner.

It hunched over, it's back to me and I cocked my head in curiosity. As my eyesight adjusted even better, I saw the blonde scraggly hair and I knew it was him, "Nathaniel?"

The figure stopped what it was doing and stood up straight. The smell of blood drifted up my nostrils and I gulped. He flew to stand in front of me, rusted bars separating us.

His face looked weak and his eyes were black as night. It almost didn't even look like him..

He cocked his head as his eyes studied me. His voice came out raspy as he whispered, "Vampire?"

I nodded. His face remained emotionless. He hissed, "Learn one thing now, and learn it quick. Trust no one here."

Ignoring his strange behavior, I questioned softly, "Why are you down here?"

Shaking his head, he looked away, "'Cause I tried to stop them from changing you."

Watching his every move, I was wary of Nathaniel. He had changed, and something was disturbingly different about him. I answered, "Why?"

His eyes snapped to mine, "Because Katherine, you deserve better than this. Better than Micah, that's for damn sure."

Instinctively, something stirred inside me at the criticism of Micah but I shushed it and calmly replied, "You knew all along didn't you? About me being his mate, the prophecy. Why didn't you tell me?"

I saw pure desperation in his eyes, "I was trying to save you from it."

Dismissing the conversation I didn't want to have, I asked, "Are they feeding you down here?"

Nathaniel snorted, "Hardly. I've been reduced to drinking from rats."

I cringed at the thought. Yuck. Nathaniel pressed himself to the bars in front of me and begged, "Please, you have to help me get out of here."

Biting my lip, I considered it. What could they really do to me? After all, this stupid coven made the choice to make me a vampire. I owed them nothing.

Digging my hand into my pocket of Micah's shorts, I found the key ring and tried various keys in the cell door until finally one worked and the lock clicked. The door swung open and nothing was standing between Nathaniel and myself.

At first, the look he had made me think he might attack me but his face softened and he pulled me into a hug. I embraced the familiar feeling and sighed.

We began to make our way through the corridor and I noticed the guard still unconscious. He might be like that for a while..

He walked slightly behind me as we walked together and our footsteps fell into sync. As I approached the next door I realized his footsteps no longer sounded with my own. Turning back to ask him what he was doing, I saw him standing a few feet away.

Just staring..

He mumbled, "I'm sorry, Kate."

Then something snapped inside him and the piece of metal in his hand came into view right before It was smashed into the side of my head and everything went black.

----------------

Vote.comment.l0ve.its short but more to come soon.

Sorry if the spacing is weird:/ it's different on the iPad...