I swear I could hear Dylan chuckle three beds over. Damn his amazing vampire hearing.

Not long after, we went to sleep and I dreamed of drinking Dylan’s blood while Eros was singing his song for me. Simon, Anne and my mother all watched, disgust on their faces. Luckily, I woke up before any of my friends did and by the time Anne had wished me a good morning, the sweat I had been bathing in when I had woken up had dried up, leaving me just a little… smelly.

Monday came sooner than I had anticipated. One moment, I was saying goodbye to my mother and the next, I was sitting in the cafeteria, that had been changed completely so that the hearing could take place here. All of the tables had been removed, and the chairs were put in long rows. Most students were attending the hearing, although no one knew exactly what was going on. Me and the others than had been involved in the village thing were on the front row. On the other side of the room were all the teachers, sitting with their face to us.

There was some space between us, where four large tables had been pushed together, with a fifth one to the side. The last one was empty, but behind the four others were the representatives the United Board had sent to rule the hearing. There were two women and two men. Every kind of supernatural was represented, of course.

One man was tall, with a Chinese appearance. I guessed he was about sixty years old. He had jet black hair pulled that fell in front of his deep-set eyes. He was a werewolf. The other man was a vampire, and he had bushy red hair, a face full of freckles and watery blue eyes. He looked about forty – but was most likely much older – and he could not have looked less threatening even if he had tried. He was wearing worn jeans and white shirt with a deep V-neck that showed a lot of red chest hair – gross.

The fairy was very pretty and had a spectacularly bright pink aura. Her white-blonde hair was flowing down her back to her hips and she was wearing a tight blue dress that shimmered when she moved. She wore a serene smile on her pale white face. She was younger than the others, probably in her late twenties. The witch was a woman in her seventies with a worn face. She wore a loose pantsuit and her thick white hair was cropped short. She had a deep brown skin-tone and a penetrating, almost frightening stare.

Mr. Hammerhead was leaning against the wall to my right, looking at the ceiling. His mouth was moving, but I did not hear him saying anything. It seemed like he was practicing what he was going to say. His eyes flicked to mine for a moment and he beamed. I returned his smile nervously, thinking about what I was going to say when I would be called to testify. Everyone who wanted to do so had to sign a sheet this morning, and now my name was on a list that the red-haired vampire was holding up when he addressed the roomful of people.

“Welcome,” his voice was soft, just as harmless as the rest of him. Even Simon looked more like a vampire than this guy did – no black, no leather, no pale skin, and definitely not a dangerous appearance like Eros or Dylan had. “Welcome to the very first hearing of the World Wide United School Board at the Van Swieten boarding school. My name is Anthony Yielding and I will be leading this meeting. I would like for the prosecutor to step forward and inform everyone of the purpose of this gathering.”

Mr. Hammerhead stepped forward and took a deep breath. He then smiled at the entire student body. “Thank you, Mr. Yielding. I am indeed the prosecutor here. My name is Duncan Han.  I am the person that called for this hearing, to voice my concerns about the current school board of Van Swieten and to ask for their immediate removal.”

That caused a small gasp from Mrs. Hall, who was sitting with the other teachers. The other school board members were merely looking pissed of shaking their heads. When Mr. Combright’s eyes met mine, I shivered. His stare was ice cold.