chapter 17

Chapter 17

I screamed and covered my face with my hands, bawling my eyes out. I ran over to him, there was a-pocketknife in his hand? where did he get that? My eyes were blurry as I kneeled down next to him, his chest not rising, eyes still open, just-laying there. I couldn't make any sound at all, just many tears running down my face as we heard Wes come through the door.

"Wes, come upstairs now!!!!" Laura shrieked through tears. He ran up the stairs as fast as he could, coming up to see his brother lying on the floor dead, me kneeling on the floor silently, heaving with every sob. "Keaton?" he asked, walking over to him. "wh-what happened?" he asked and I was still motionless also so Laura pointed to the knife in his left hand. "why did he do this?" Laura shook her head.

I picked up his right hand and turned it to where his palm was facing me. his wrist was still bleeding from what looked like a split, artery? that's really bad, I thought. but the thing that I really thought about was what I just screamed outloud without thinking. "he's dead!!!!" was what I screamed, then about grabbed the knife myself. Wes grabbed my wrist in a death grip as I reached for it, and yelled to me, "Jennifer! Don't! calm down, we'll all work this out okay?" I screamed otherwise, and right then, I blacked out.

My eyes fluttered open and I was still laying on the tile floor, but laying up next to Keaton's body, my arms around his waist.

"Why did you do this?" I mumbled, looking into his eyes. "Leave me and her, alone?" I took a deep breath. "why?" the only thing I could think to do is sing the song from The Hunger Games for when Rue died.

"Deep in the meadow, under the willow, a bed of grass, a soft green pillow

Lay down your head, and close your sleepy eyes

And when again they open, the sun will rise.

Here it is safe, here it is warm

Here the daisies guard you from every harm

Here your dreams are sweet and tomorrow brings them true

Here is the place where I love you" -The Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins

I was crying again. steadily now, but not loud, soft. he's still lifeless, and for a second I thought we were alone, but then I realized that Wes and Laura were still here. they were crying, and I looked up at them and said, "what do we do now?" in a shaky voice. "lets take him to the hospital, we might be able to fix him... I hope." Wes whispered, picked Keaton up, then i put Keaton's Team Inspire jersey shirt on and we all walked out the house and to the car as Drew walked up.

"What the-?" oh my God, what happened?" He asked, puzzled. "just get in the car Drew," Laura told him and he turned around to follow. We got in the car, not minding our speed, going to the hospital as fast as we could. Keaton was laying across Laura and I's laps as we sat in the back seat. tears were running down my cheeks still, but I kept wiping them off, so no one probably noticed.

When we arrived, paramedics helped carry Keaton inside and we followed them into one of the rooms. they told us that we could stay with him until the doctor came, so I lay my head on his chest as we waited. I didn't seem to care that there was blood getting on my hand as I ran it up and down the arm that he cut. the pocketknife lay gently in the pocket of my sweatpants I was still wearing, and my hair in a wet mess from the sea water.

The doctor came in and shooed us out, and I just sat on the cold tile floor against the wall outside the room among the rest of us. I sat next to Wes, and he reached over and rubbed my back. I thought of how much that doctor really looked like the 9th doctor from Doctor Who, and leaned my head on his strong shoulder and drifted off to a dreamless sleep.